1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Dirty snow on roof by chimney

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ChadD, Feb 9, 2013.

1. ChadD

ChadD Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I noticed today after the storm there was some dirty brownish snow on the roof near the chimney is this normal?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    You may have gotten some really strong drafts during the storm that pulled some loose stuff out.
  3. wingsfan

wingsfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Jackson,Mi.
    Is the dark spot on the left near the roof edge a shadow or is that the discolorization?I get some brown drippings from mine once in a while..I just thought it was condensation dripping from letting it cool off .I'm watchin this one .
  4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    my friends have black creosote dripping out of their cap all down the chimney, but again they do like to burn that "green wood" That they just had to have me get for them so that they could split it and then burn it that very same day. They never get to far ahead so that it does not dry out?_g
  5. ChadD

ChadD Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I snapped this picture later on in the day after I finished snowblowing.The discoloration to the left was just a shadow but before more of the snow melted it was a brown stain on all the snow on the roof near the chimney.
  6. rkofler

rkofler Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Long Island
    Noticed the same thing over here