Dirty stove window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
I have a Napoleon Pellet Stove that has a dirty window issue. The upper half of the 3 windows get covered with black stuff that wipes right off. I have a log set. Normally run the stove on 4 with a fan speed of 2. Nice stove, really good heat, but not able to get support from Napoleon. Their reply was to get the technician to inspect his installation and give them a call. I had this technician do the installation. Considering he cut two holes in my siding before connecting to the one inside hole, I don't have a lot of faith in that option.

I think that's just the nature of the beast. There is combustion going on in there, so soot is bound to get on the glass.

As long as it doesn't get black and sticky it is OK.
Make cleaning the glass part of your weekly maintenance.
Use a damp paper towel and some of the fly ash to wipe
off the glass it does a great job.

Keep warm and toasty this winter

Jay

Speaking of dirty glass...

During our first burn last week, we had a lot of that smoky smell stuff going from the burn in. Well, the glass seemed to get very dirty, very quickly. On the weekend, I opened up the front to wipe out the glass and the soot did come right off as promised, but there was discoloration that remained.

What I discovered was that the OUTSIDE of the glass in the top 3rd of the window was where the discoloration was. I don't know if it was due to sticky residue from packing material or what, but how should I clean it off?

I was told not to use Windex or chemicals to clean the inside of the glass, but how about the outside?

No Windex?!? I've never heard that one. I use glass cleaner on both the inside and the outside of my glass. Of course, you don't want to put anything cold on hot glass or soak your window gasket in cleaner so I simply spray windex on paper towels and wipe it clean rather than spraying directly onto the glass.

I use the same ceramic cooktop cleaner for the glass on my XXV
that I use on my electric rangetop.

Works great and is cheap too.

Windex is not the problem, ammonia is. Ammonia can etch the ceramic after a lot of use, if you use a glass cleaner, use the vinager type. Also, try not to soak the door gasket as Peg said, it causes premature wear if you do.

Quad says use window cleaner.

If its an older stove check the window gasket. Old gasket can make some dirty glass.

pegdot said:
No Windex?!? I've never heard that one. I use glass cleaner on both the inside and the outside of my glass. Of course, you don't want to put anything cold on hot glass or soak your window gasket in cleaner so I simply spray windex on paper towels and wipe it clean rather than spraying directly onto the glass.

The ammonia in the Windex is bad for the ceramics. It will etch over time.

I use Ceramabrite which is a rangetop cleaner, will take anything off ceramic or glass without leaving a mark. No odour or residue, just a clean surface.

I have a Lopi Yankee, I just had it installed and used it today for the first long use - Afternoon to the evening running off a thermostat. The upper part of the glass is covered with Brown soot not black. I am using Pennington Pellets. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning brown on the glass before. Is still running so I won't gert a chance to open it and try to clean until this weekend. Any ever see or hear of this before?

The soot we're getting is definitely brownish, as is the ash in the pan.

I bought some ceramic stove top cleaner today (these premoistened pad things). They worked great.

Now to the problem:
If I run the stove on a higher setting, we're still seeing a bit of soot on the upper third of the glass but not so much. As soon as I turn it down to the lowest setting, the soot starts building up. I'm sure I've read here somewhere what to do about this, if anything, but I can't find it tonight. I'm guessing it's a damper situation, but I'm stumped.

save$
if the log set sits close to the glass it could be affecting the air wash for the glass.

Mom2czars
When you turn it down to the lower setting do the flames get lazy and lean toward the glass?
if so I would say you have poor draft, higher heat increases draft effect...

thank you all. I'm attempting to overcome this. I took out the logs and turned up the fan. Have the draft open more. Less soot on the glass. Now none on the side panels, but still get it on the upper half of the center bay window. Flame doesn't seem to be anywhere near the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.