Dirty wall from exhaust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGT

Oct 19, 2011
Sparta,WI
just noticed today the wall outside where the exhaust comes out is turning brown. did not notice the wall brown this past summer? is this normal to happen when using the stove and it just washes off
with a good rain? or is there something wrong with my stove?

IMG_5371.jpg

looks like you might have a wind trap there?

Hows it burning?

How long has it been since a thorough cleaning?

Maybe extend the termination.

yea, there is kind of a trap there. it seems to burn fine. i just bought this house last spring and previous owner did not say anything about the last cleaning of the stove.

if the soot will just wash off later with a spring rain or a hose im not to worried about it, just know it was not brown this past summer and was worried about it staining or
there being something wrong with the stove.

Yes you might be far enough from the corner as per the stove maker but looks like you might have to go vertical, or clean the siding more often.

Eric

DemonGT said:
yea, there is kind of a trap there. it seems to burn fine. i just bought this house last spring and previous owner did not say anything about the last cleaning of the stove.

if the soot will just wash off later with a spring rain or a hose im not to worried about it, just know it was not brown this past summer and was worried about it staining or
there being something wrong with the stove.

When was the last time you gave it a good cleaning?? That area looks like a bad spot for wind.. But on the other hand, there has been some terrible pics of peoples siding thats completely black. So that light brown haze isnt bad.

Does it brush off with your finger? If so, cleaning will be quite easy. Going up or out further will get it into the wind better (up being better). But if it cleans easily and you dont mind it, then I wouldnt bother.

No not good. It's the potash all over your siding that is troublesome. Potassium salts, carbonates and oxides remaining after wood burning are liming agents, raising the pH (caustic). The potash may after awhile make your vinyl siding more brittle and crack apart.

I have a similar situation. I get a fudge streak straight up two floors and over the soffit just as if someone was snapping a chalk line. It accumulated over time and is on the back side of the house. I won’t be going up with any more pipes because I need to have access to clean it with the leaf blower. No ladder times for I me. I kept a bunch of siding so I can have repairs made if needed.

Is that your OAK hood that is next to your exhaust ...if so it looks as if you may have some recycling of exhaust back into the home ...is the air kit on your stove a sealed unit including inside the body of the stove

To prevent, you need to extend the vent to the roofline.

You could try one of the jet type caps first though.

I agree with CTO running the vent to the roof line will certainly make this go away however depending on the total run with tees etc you may want to switch to 4" venting (it looks like it is 3" from the pic) check the manual as they manuf may have details in there on venting and EVL

Checkthisout said:

Could anyone expand on this accelerator/jet type cap?
According to my search result, very few people use it.

Just curious, Jerry.

heres what mine looks like.

don't really think it accelerates at all, just not a typical hood type termination.

Attachments

• IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 323
jmart said:
Checkthisout said:

Just curious, Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Take a look at page 2 of this document from Greenheck fans.
http://www.greenheck.com/media/pdf/catalogs/VektorMD&CD;_catalog.pdf
Similar principle. It not only accellerates the discharge but also dillutes the discharge air with entrained air.
One reason why I went with my nozzle setup.

Attachments

• 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 323
Checkthisout said:
To prevent, you need to extend the vent to the roofline.

That would be alot of pipe!! Might max out the recommended EVL.

X2 on the jet cap. Or maybe just extend it out a couple of feet.

mepellet said:
jmart said:
Checkthisout said:

Just curious, Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Similar principle. It not only accellerates the discharge but also dillutes the discharge air with entrained air.

Those are fan driven powered exhausts, not passive. Similar nozzle, but that's about all in common.

mepellet said:
Hi Jerry,

My termination cap does not resemble the inner workings of the unique discharge nozzle of the Greenheck Vektorâ„¢ High Plume Dilution Blower in the link you provided.

For example it does not have a vektor fan in it. Although I agree it does allow dillution air to enter at the termination. My opinion is the exhaust pressure is no greater than what

the combustion blower produces on my setup. I could be wrong. Just sayin.

PA_Clinker said:
mepellet said:
jmart said:
Checkthisout said:

Just curious, Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Those are fan driven powered exhausts, not passive. Similar nozzle, but that's about all in common.

Aren't most pellet stoves fan driven powered exhausts?

PA_Clinker said:
mepellet said:
jmart said:
Checkthisout said:

Just curious, Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Agreed.

mepellet said:
PA_Clinker said:
mepellet said:
jmart said:
Checkthisout said:

Just curious, Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Whats the typical pressure inside a pellet vent?

I don't know but I bet its not very much.

DemonGT said:
just noticed today the wall outside where the exhaust comes out is turning brown. did not notice the wall brown this past summer? is this normal to happen when using the stove and it just washes off

In your sig it says "PelPro Bay View Insert" so I'm trying to figure out why it wasn't vented into an existing flue?

PA_Clinker said:
DemonGT said:

In your sig it says "PelPro Bay View Insert" so I'm trying to figure out why it wasn't vented into an existing flue?

you can build a hearth around an insert, happens all the time with gas units.

mepellet said:
PA_Clinker said:
mepellet said:
jmart said:
Checkthisout said:

Just curious, Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

:) Yes, but the product products you linked to are placed at the end of a vent run to literally suck out exhaust through the entire run. Pellet stoves are designed to exhaust the fumes from the firebox, it then pushes the gases through the vent run. Very different principle..ie. sucking vs. blowing.

smoke show said:
PA_Clinker said:
DemonGT said:

you can build a hearth around an insert, happens all the time with gas units.

Okay then, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.