Disadvantage of B Vent vs. Co linear - newbie question/I did a search

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirfrogman

Oct 29, 2007
Massachusetts
Hello all. This forum is an excellent resource. Thanks to all for contributing - it's really helpful to a newbie like me. I conducted a bunch of searches but couldn't find the answer to my question.

Question: One installer is telling me that the installation fees for a gas insert fireplace are $500 and two others are telling me that it's a $1,000 including plumbing etc... The first retailer told me that they install using the b vent approach and haven't had as much success with the direct linear. The other two retailers told me that b vent can be unsafe in newer homes b/c it sucks out the oxygen in the room...we'd need to have a window open. Any thoughts, suggestions or reference material someone can point me to?

Question 2: Anyone have an opinion as to Lexington Forge vs. Mendota? Looking for efficiency and a good looking flame.

Thanks in advance for your input.

dear sir frogman

go 2 the top of the forums page on the upper right hand conner and see HEALTHCOM.NAVAGATION bar. also find it on home page on right under old lady in rocking chair. there is a down arrow to the right of the bar. click on the arrow & see selections in pop down menu
2 that i would click on in your shoes is 2002 questions & answers and wiki , which is a collection of informative articles in depth coverage of topic. I dont know what topics are there because
i have not looked, yet.

also, there is , on the upper left, a search forums box that you can type your problem in and see if there are any posts from the past on your subject.

I cant give any advice other than that because , i really don't have a clue to what your talking about except to say get more quotes from more installers and compair. dont take the cheapest quote nor the most expensive quote, but choose for some one in the average price bracket in the middle. The cheap guy may cut coners & do an inferior job & The most expensive will probably be ripping you off, someone in the middle probably wont cut coners or overcharge you.

best of luck & try back tomorrow, when there are more people here.

B-Vent needs one liner run, and Direct Vent needs one full liner run and a second 4' liner stubbed up for fresh air. The install is not much different. We install probably 3 Direct Vent inserts a week or more during the winter. We do not have many problems with them. They are correct in saying the B-Vent will use air from the house for combustion and if run long enough can create a negative pressure in the house. Because of this B-Vented unit are usually less efficient also.

Status
Not open for further replies.