Discolored glass after first burn - Should I worry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwchaff

Nov 9, 2007
Delaware
Hi, first post here, but looks like there is some good information shared on this forum, so maybe some of you out there have some recommendations. I recently purchased a Century Hearth model FW1000310 (Sorry Mike Holton, the Lowes and Home Depot around here don't seem to be carrying the Englander right now). Anyway, after the first burn, I noticed a kind of rainbow colored pattern on the front glass. It appears to in the glass itself, not something I can just clean off. FYI, I didn't get too aggressive trying to clean it off, just wiped it with a dry paper towel after it cooled off. I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of overheating, as I kept the surface temp. of the stove to around 250 F, so as to cure the paint.

Anyone had this happen before, and should I be concerned about it?

Yes, it was no doubt caused by your first burn, which should have been done with a small fire. Usually you want to build a couple small fires and let them die out before building a bigger fire. This will cure all the furnance cement and get rid of some initial smell from paint. I'd suggest doing that and just leaving the glass alone. It should clear up with a bigger fire and a longer burn. If it does bother you, get some real fine steel wool, .0000, and use it gently.

I wouldn't worry, it should burn off when you have a good hot fire.

That's those "voltatiles" you'll read about, that boiled out of the wood and condensed in thin layers on your cool glass. The rainbow fringes can be kind of interesting-looking. (Think of oil sheen on water -- similar optical process going on.) With a hotter fire the volatiles will be more likely to burn instead of condense (that's the aim of all modern high-performance woodstoves), plus the glass will be more likely to get up to self-cleaning temperature.

If its a routine problem you can buy cleaners specifically for woodstove glass that work well, or in a pinch but not quite as industrial-strength, ceramic cooktop cleaner (close cousin to the clear ceramic "glass" in our stoves) will do the job. But hopefully its not a routine problem -- I only see those deposits when it is warm but I succumb to temptation to start a fire anyway, then wind up choking the stove to not overheat.

Eddy

Backwoods Savage said:
If it does bother you, get some real fine steel wool, .0000, and use it gently.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN HOT GLASS. Applying cleaner to hot glass may cause burns, emit hot noxious fumes, and the glass is more likely to stain. A hot fire will clean the glass just great.

I wouldn't use .0000 steel wool that on my ceramic glass. When it seems to matter I first try just water on a soft cloth or paper towel to clean cold dirty glass. If that doesn't work I touch the damp cloth in the ash in the stove and use it with no pressure to clean the ceramic. And more water followed by a clean paper-towel.

I also use Hearth & Grill Conditioning Glass Cleaner or White Off® Glass Ceramic Cleaner

http://www.robaxglass.com/clean.htm

http://www.rutland.com/maintenance_html/paints_polishes_cleaners.html

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/QA_Templates/info/310/

After the stove has been slowley cured. Run a good hot fire ,actually the end of the curing process and it should clean up just fine. There may just be just some fine ash left and that should wipe of with a damp cloth. Make sure your wood is good and dry. Stoves run best when run hot and referance with a stove thermometer as posted on many threads. Good luck.
When in doubt use your manual as a reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.