Discolored Metal Roofing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a few years a white roof would be green on the north side of the house out here. Moss grows in the darndest locations.

Definitely on the west side... my old cabin on the east side had a 40 year old white metal roof... I replaced it this last summer with a "white" raised metal seam roof. The general dryness on this side kept the moss and green away over the years. It stands out some but keeps things cool in the summer. Everything else is the typical green or red roof with a random blue around me.

Yup, green is the safest color here on the west side of the Cascades. The roof is going to have a coating of moss sooner or later unless you zinc it.

Yup, green is the safest color here on the west side of the Cascades. The roof is going to have a coating of moss sooner or later unless you zinc it.

If this new roof starts to show any green I might have to zinc it. The last one was over 40 years old and was only a faded white so may not have to worry about it. The snow in the winter probably scrapes off what moss could form. Not a lot of that over on this side.

Fully aware of the green and moss on west side. My home roof has it's share on the north side.

flashing.jpg That is similar to what was installed on my new metal roof this summer. Still don't have the wood stove installed, but have had no problems with leaks. Copied the picture from Lumberjacks post. Mine is currently covered under about 18" of snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.