Discussion on the Woodstove.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swestall

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Connecticut
westallinsurance.com
I posted this under another topic; where I think we agree that Classic is the term for our old stoves. But I thought we might enjoy chatting about the tale end of the post as its own topic; It is about my discussion with my wife on my woodstove obsession of late- so here it goes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey folks, BB: I didn't come up with it and didn't think I did; I just saw it earlier in the posts and thought I'd write about it
I do hope we now think of them as the Classics.

As discussed previously, I just love the old stoves; even just to look at.

I'm looking forward to having the Hearthstone Mansfield in and burning tomorrow. Its modern, but still has a look of the old Classics.

The most important thing is we are burning North American wood on our soil and are not giving our hard earned money to NOT_North America.

Yesterday, I was having a discussion with my wife and we were talking about all this wood stuff, the new stove, etc. Of course, I got a little eye rolling because I've been so obsessed with it all for the past few months of my Defiant Ordeal....

Then I said to her, did you know that the heating oil is up to $3.50 a gallon around here? OH NO she said, I didn't. I wen't on with, do you know how much it takes to fill our oil tank with $3.50 a gallon oil?
Well no, she said. I said, let's see, 550 gallons, $3.50 a gallon, that's $1925.00 every couple of months.

Her response was instant; THANK GOD WE HAVE THE WOODSTOVE!

My wife also thinks I'm obsessed with wood stoves, and she's right! She is starting to come around tho. The last couple days she helped me with 3 loads of Black Locust firewood. I was cutting and she threw it in the trailer. I said, I think we have plenty for the next couple years, should we keep cutting more and maybe sell some? She said no way, we need all we can get, keep cutting. :)

My Englander 30 looks nice, but I still wax nostalgic about the old Fisher Mama Bear that we had when I was a kid. I still favor the look of a step top stove over all others.

-SF

I loved the original VC Resolute. With top loading and thermostatic control, it was a gem of a stove. Easy to use, tough and put out good heat.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, too. I'm not obsessed with woodstoves in general, just mine and wood species and grain. Currently hoarding all of the 150 year old chestnut from my farmhouse restoration project. NOT gonna be burning that stuff...

I like the older/older looking stoves too, always have.

My boyfriend won't go near the stove anymore, he says it's my baby.

Girl said:
I like the older/older looking stoves too, always have.

My boyfriend won't go near the stove anymore, he says it's my baby.

Wife tells me that when she can not get a fire going :lol:

swestall said:
The most important thing is we are burning North American wood on our soil and are not giving our hard earned money to NOT_North America.

A bit more of our imported oil comes from Canada and Mexico than many politicians may want us to believe.
At $3.50 a gallon it doesn't matter where it comes from, nor where the money 'really' goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.