diseased wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenergrass

Sep 28, 2006
My Neighbor has 6 diseased elm trees, 40 feet plus. All the bark is turning a yellowish color and then falling off. I was wandering if they are okay to burn or will they affect other trees in the area? He says I can have all the wood if I want it. Also: is it okay to burn wood that has had poison ivy on it? Thanks in advance for any responses.

I been burning dead elm for 30 years...we're happy with it. One of the few trees you can harvest in the winter too.

Any disease pathogens of any kind will certainly be killed in the firebox. Good question about poison ivy. It is generally not appropriate to burn poison ivy since the rash producing chemical urushiol can be released in the smoke and is toxic to many people in incredibly small quantities. Its possible loading it in a really hot stove would tend to burn the urushiol but I don't think it's worth the risk to your neighbor's health.

Dutch Elm Disease... :shut: zapping all the elms.
Wooly Adelgid, zapping all the eastern hemlocks.
Anthracnose blight zapping all the dogwoods.
Pine bark beetle zapping all the southern pines.
Gypsy Moths zapping all the other hardwoods.
Acid rain zapping everything anyway in the Appalachians.

Better get used to burning that poison ivy vine - may be the only thing we have to burn in another couple of decades.

PLEASE DO NOT BURN POISON IVY!!!

The burning poison ivy question has been asked before.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000027.htm
It is a fact about the urushiol released when burned.
I know first hand how devastating it when people burn it!
My daughter suffered horribly her eyes would literally swell shut & had to be on prednisone.
Once we moved we did not have to deal with the a-hole who kept burning it!

PLEASE DO NOT BURN POISON IVY!!!

I am cutting the last of our dead elm to burn next year. Lucky we don't have any poision ivy on them. I would
think you could remove the vines and be ok. Not sure though and as the last poster said, the fumes can harm
others so I wouldn't want to burn any of the vines for sure.

Just looked at the other posters link and it stated not to burn the vines so I do think if you took them off the elm
it would be ok.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DO NOT Return to top

DO NOT touch skin or clothing that still have the resins.
DO NOT burn poison ivy, oak, or sumac to get rid of it. The resins can be spread via smoke, and can cause severe reactions in people who are far downwind.

Status
Not open for further replies.