DISHEARTING VISIT TO LOCAL DEALER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
I was going to replace my prefab TEMCO fireplace. Went to a local fireplace/stove shop (had the TEMCO manual).
Ballpark replacement cost: 5700.00 to 7500.00 ( DADGUM - in respect to Bobby Bowen).

Replacement fireplace stove: Xtrordinair 36 or 42 ---- 3700 - 4200. (pretty much hard price)

Liner replacement along with possible stone/plaster/drywall work: 2000- 3500 (dont know what they will run into once openiing up the chimney and chace)...I dont know either becuase I did not build it.

But I did buy a HUSKY 460 and new bar and chain for my 345 today at a good price.

Secondary plan: Live with the TEMCO fireplace...

replace the FISHER in the basement ( approx 1500 sqft)...with a more eff. stove..probably an NC-30.....and cut wood till the cows come home...

DADGUM...just cant swing the 6k (+) on the fireplace change over...I did drop 5k for new windows though...hopefully that will be a risk mitagator..

Tony

if you are a quick study and quite handy you can probably do the liner for bout' 1-1.5k find an englander nc30 for about the same maybe less from what i have read its as good a stove as can be purchased without the frills of cast iron and stone. install it your self for bout 3k total give or take a bit depending on your current chimney setup. by the way what is your current chimney setup. this is nearly the largest factor. with credit to Andrew Dodd (DAAAAGUM Right) NW GA pissed bout no snow

The chimney is on an exterior wall. 6" its about 12yrs old. There is also a seperate flue that goes to the basement where the fisher is. So one exterior wall chimney with 2 seperate flues. Both 6"

I would suspect that if you are handy at all, you can save a LOT. We have done all of our install ourselves, and it's pretty darned involved, and will finish out around $4500 total, but some of that could be less, if you don't need.. say... custom made tiles at $27 a sqft..lol

We had never done a stove install, but are both "handy" and willing to try about anything..

here is a link to the pictures of what we had to do and found.. http://tinyurl.com/ylye7l5

I'll probably get killed for saying this but if you aren't satisfied with the heat the Fisher is putting out then you will not be happy with any stove being sold today. Fishers are huge heat monsters that can't be touched heat wise. If you are going to go through all that for another fireplace style insert then I'd just look to put in a real stove. Don't get discouraged from snobby expensive stove shops. What they do isn't magical or for the most part hard. Since you're from E.TN I'd say just git r done. Read up and ask some questions and you'll know as much and probably more than your stove shop. Where abouts in E.TN are you? I lived in a little town called Madisonville (between Knox and Chatt) for 10 years and still miss seeing the mountains.

drdoct said:
I'll probably get killed for saying this but if you aren't satisfied with the heat the Fisher is putting out then you will not be happy with any stove being sold today. Fishers are huge heat monsters that can't be touched heat wise. If you are going to go through all that for another fireplace style insert then I'd just look to put in a real stove. Don't get discouraged from snobby expensive stove shops. What they do isn't magical or for the most part hard. ..."

Si, amigo drdoct :lol:

30 years cranking out mucho btu's.

senora, she like. ;-)

So when OwlGore / EPA come fur my Fisher, I'll let Tuco do my talking. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUslGSoEH8I

Dave_1 said:
drdoct said:
I'll probably get killed for saying this but if you aren't satisfied with the heat the Fisher is putting out then you will not be happy with any stove being sold today. Fishers are huge heat monsters that can't be touched heat wise. If you are going to go through all that for another fireplace style insert then I'd just look to put in a real stove. Don't get discouraged from snobby expensive stove shops. What they do isn't magical or for the most part hard. ..."

senora, she like. ;-)

When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk.

BrowningBAR said:
Dave_1 said:
drdoct said:

senora, she like. ;-)

Si, amigo BrowningBAR

That's what I like about Tuco, & he works fur less dan minimum wage.;-)

But he makes it that up in Bubble Bath cost.

Karumba, his benefits are going to kill me, amigo. ;-)

BrowningBAR said:

"Therefore, according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused before us, Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez and any other aliases he might have, to hang by the neck until dead... may God have mercy on his soul... proceed." (from memory LOL)

Maybe you can do it in stages.
Upgrade the chimney one year.
Replace fireplace later. If that would work in your situation

Well, Decided tonight that I will do the install myself. It aint rocket science..I got an NC30 on the way that will go in the alcove…still gotta get the chimney insert prior too….and some some stone/heat safety work completed… What I am saying is attention to detail…20yrs of submarining taught me I can pretty much do anything long as I keep the mind frame of the objective correct….I can read code….I can tear down and rebuild….I can work metal..stone…etc.. Bottom line I want safe and efficient..entering in those are the 1st objective…visualy pleasing…the wife has conceded that to the primary objectives..

I can tell you right now this unit will not be up and running in 3wks…lots of research for me to do…

But I plan on providing a very detailed report from parts purchased to installation…dont know if that is of interest

I will probably also tax the patience of some of you seasoned wood burners…But I am installing so give me a break if you aint done it….

I am very proud of our home ( as everyone probably is)...I plan on doing nothing to jeoparidize that…

So follow along, add input, help me out..

Hoping by next fall I will be heatpump free at least 14hrs per day….

Anyway…thanks

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.