Dishnetwork or Directv?? looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbar2311

Mar 16, 2010
SE Michigan
Thinking about ditching cable for one of the two "deals" out there for cheap satellite tv. Any thoughts or advice?

You might want to consider using neither. If you have a good broadband connection you can get just about anything you want that way. Technology and content is moving that way. Netflix is now the largest Internet bandwidth user during prime time. You can also use an antenna for over the air transmissions of digital channels.

If the vendor allows you to choose your channels alacarte at a reduced price, then maybe. Otherwise, 500 channels of pure crap is the same whether it is coming over cable or satellite.

Clarkbar2311 said:
Thinking about ditching cable for one of the two "deals" out there for cheap satellite tv. Any thoughts or advice?

We had Dish for a few years. Really loved the DVR, it's no Tivo but it gets the job done. Price went up. And up. And up. This spring the tops of a tree grew up in the way of the antenna so we suspended service until we decided whether to trim the tree of move the antenna. Then in late summer we realized we didn't miss it a all relative to the money we were saving, so we boxed it up and sent it to them and we haven't looked back.

Surprisingly we can get all the new over-the-air digital channels 35 miles out with an indoor antenna and a converter box. Also surprisingly I don't mind not being able to skip through commercials, there's always something to read or work on during the breaks.

Some neighbors got rid of all their televisions and their kids seem to be profiting from the experience.

--ewd

I was thinking about getting the $39.99 a month dishnet package. Has all the stuff the wife and kiddos like. If it wasn't for having young kids and long winters I'd have an antenna.

Check first and foremost and find out which provider offers your local channels...In my direct experience, they don't both offer locals in the same zip code. I found this out the hard way by getting Direct on a 2 year contract and had to do without any locla news or weather for 2 years. Dish offers local channels in my town, FCC does not allow Direct to do so.

Of the two I prefer Dish. I have a DVR that super easy to use (I have rarely used an actual Tivo, but the couple times i did I found it more comples...likely because it was new and different and not because it was actually harder to use), two rooms are hooked up to the one box in the living room so I use the UHF remote in the master bedroom...nice thing is that I have all the DVR and box functions in the MBR, but no box to try and hide or plug in.

Both pricing and offering tiers are the same. Both offer comparable HD programming...really for my nickle the only reason to choose one over the other is who offers local channels...all the rest is splitting hairs to me.

I've had DirecTV for quite some time . . . but honestly I could take it or leave it . . . as Mayhem said the pricing and offerings appear pretty similar . . . and as ewdudley said I have seen the prices steadily increase over time. To be honest I probably watch more OTA broadcast TV than satellite TV and shows via Netflix through DSL . . . but my wife hates Maine winters so I don't mind paying the $70 or so each month.

Semipro said:
You might want to consider using neither. If you have a good broadband connection you can get just about anything you want that way. Technology and content is moving that way. Netflix is now the largest Internet bandwidth user during prime time. You can also use an antenna for over the air transmissions of digital channels.

So you can get all the live sports on the internet? NOT! It all depends on what you want to watch...

CTwoodburner said:
Semipro said:

So you can get all the live sports on the internet? NOT! It all depends on what you want to watch...

Agreed, it does depend on what you watch. But I get live sports OTA on the major networks though not as many as you can get on cable or satellite. I usually just nap through them anyway, especially baseball and golf.

I have Directv and, as someone said, I could take it or leave it. Doesn't really matter to me. The only real reason I have it is because they are the sole providers of the NFL Sunday Ticket, and that's the only way I will see a Raider game, as I live in the East.

I do like their hi def channels, however, much better than my local cable company (Time Warner)

I'm leaning toward DIshnet, liking the cheapest package deal.

i have directv and have been very happy. good channel selection and cost. Also GREAT DVR.

I have Directv and have had them for just under 2 years now. No problems with them. I am on a bundle package through verizon for phone internet directv and cell phone for additional savings. Love their DVR too. We have all the local channels also

I had DishNetwork for 5 yrs and overall it was fine, except the customer service. I ended up paying for all repairs to their units that I was "leasing". My converter box went bad once, and I had to "dish out" $200 for another one. . . .that I still didn't own! I also dished out $90 to replace the switch box that sets on the satellite dish itself b/c it failed (according to them) due to the extreme cold climate. After that I had enough. . . I switched to the local cable company and the first thing I asked was who pays for their equipment if it breaks, they looked at me like I had 10 heads, they said "If it's our equipment, we do!"

Nephew of mine used to work for Dish. He said when your stuff breaks, when you call in to just ask for the maintenance plan to be added to your bill. The repair will be covered, even though the problem occurred before you took out the plan...then you let the $5 ride for a month or so and cancel it. I've only had one issue in 4 years, when my house settled a bit the dish lost the satellite, called in, bought the maintenance and they sent a team of service techs up the next day.

I currently subscribe to the "Famil" plan, which is Dish's basest plan. $25/mo with local channels...I don't get Discovery or History or those other premium cable channels, but I get all the cartoons and such that my kid likes so I'm happy. No time to watch tv anyway.

i have direct tv now for about 3 years. we had comcast cable tv before that. the price went up for 5 months in a row so we changed. our price has goon up on the direct but nothing like cable. but like said above splitting hairs as far as the services go. the only thing i can say that is different with the direct tv over the cable, is the picture quality. way better on direct than comcast.
did some reading (can't remember where on the internet) but cable compresses there signal and most times even tho is says that the channel is coming thru the cable as 1080 they are fooling the tv to say it's 1080 but in fact it's 720. still high definition but that could be the reason that the direct tv looks brighter and sharper.

Add my vote to the comments of semipro and BeGreen.

I will NEVER AGAIN allow the television signal from Direct TV through the walls of my house. NEVER! 'nuf said! My negative feelings are not quite as strong about Dish Network. Those two pretty much had a monopoly on digital TV for years. From what I have read on various forums, many viewers, after installing the D/A converter box and being very impressed with their new digital picture, have, with great pleasure abandoned both companies.

My D/A converter box gives me all the major networks and PBS in High Def. I record what I want with TiVo. As a result, I have saved an average of $65 per month, during the last 36 months. :)

John_M

Semipro said:
CTwoodburner said:
Semipro said:

Agreed, it does depend on what you watch. But I get live sports OTA on the major networks though not as many as you can get on cable or satellite. I usually just nap through them anyway, especially baseball and golf.

I just noticed last night that there are some sport channels available through Netflix.

What is a D/A converter box? I am in the same boat with cable/direct tv/dish network. I haven't paid for Cable in 3+ years and see the pro's and cons of each. I have DSL and phone service and I had to sign a contract on the dsl which has 7 months to go. I am holding out as long as I can on the TV as I'm sure my DSL is going to go up in price. The whole thing is a racket. They find ways to get you to pay more. I want to watch the NFL game on Thursday night (any Thursday night including Thanksgiving) and I have to get the NFL Network. WTF. They create a monopoly so you have to buy their channel.

So far I think Dish Network has the best deal. THeir "200" plan is $40 I believe and goes up to $55 the second year. It is their second best plan and has FX and the NFL Network and a bunch of stuff I want. It is missing Nat Geo but I'm not considering going up another block. I don't want HBO or any of that other crap. HD is important and a DVR would be nice. I work evenings so I don't get to watch tv during the week. Even Netflix is downgrading their service so I guess I'll have to start payin up. That is what the studios want. I can get cable for $50 a month (6 months guaranteed) and it will last me until my contract with DSL is up and I will be in a good place to negotiate a bundle. Still undecided.

I just came off of Dish Network and started Direct TV. I wish I could get on one of the entry level packages that most here are talking about but my wife & I watch a lot of TV and she's pretty insistent about having certain channels so we have a pretty big package.

We were spending $100 with Dish and now with Direct TV we're at about $80/month for a special deal on their Premier package. After the first year this will cost us $129 if we don't remove some items. I don't think I'll be willing to pay that much.

My biggest gripes with Dish Network were:

1. The DVR box would crash constantly. Replaced at their expense, crashed some more, replaced again, more crashing... NEVER AGAIN Dish !
2. I also found the Dish website to be confusing. When considering a special package it is nice to be able to see what the price will change to for the duration of the 2 year contract. Direct TV shows you exactly what you'll pay.

We are really liking the Direct TV. The HD content looks far superior to Dish's HD. Not sure why but it must have something to do with their compression technique. The DVR performs flawlessly. The Whole-Home DVR feature is really nice as well although there is a little delay (remote feels laggy) when viewing remotely.

Direct TV is a clear winner here. We tried HD cable but the cable provider here is really lame. When we tried their HD offerings a few years ago there was about 10 channels available.

To anybody thinking of getting TV shows online I would ask what is the resolution you'll get. I always laugh at those netflix commercials talking about watching TV on the Wii console. The picture quality of the Wii makes my eyes bleed.

Everything here is satellite including our internet, No companies come to town when there are under 3 people per square mile.

We had dish network at first but have had directv for the last 6 or so years and find we like it better. Pricewise I'm not sure which one is cheaper, but dish didn't have some of the channels we wanted.

There are no OTA channels available so a converter box would not help us. I do wish you could buy channels ala carte from the satellite companies, I could get by with about 5 channels.

We have had DISH for the last four years or so. With a family of five we have two boxes and a total of four TV's. We have the HD package and DVR on two of the sets. No complaints at all. For the past two years every time the rate is changed I call, groan, and threaten to cancel. My rate has been the same for over 16 months now. It usually takes one call every other month or so, but its worth the three minutes of my time to keep my rate in check. We probably don't need all that we have, but we do, we like it, and have no plans on changing.

cncpro said:
I just came off of Dish Network and started Direct TV. I wish I could get on one of the entry level packages that most here are talking about but my wife & I watch a lot of TV and she's pretty insistent about having certain channels so we have a pretty big package.

We were spending $100 with Dish and now with Direct TV we're at about $80/month for a special deal on their Premier package. After the first year this will cost us $129 if we don't remove some items. I don't think I'll be willing to pay that much.

My biggest gripes with Dish Network were:

1. The DVR box would crash constantly. Replaced at their expense, crashed some more, replaced again, more crashing... NEVER AGAIN Dish !
2. I also found the Dish website to be confusing. When considering a special package it is nice to be able to see what the price will change to for the duration of the 2 year contract. Direct TV shows you exactly what you'll pay.

We are really liking the Direct TV. The HD content looks far superior to Dish's HD. Not sure why but it must have something to do with their compression technique. The DVR performs flawlessly. The Whole-Home DVR feature is really nice as well although there is a little delay (remote feels laggy) when viewing remotely.

Direct TV is a clear winner here. We tried HD cable but the cable provider here is really lame. When we tried their HD offerings a few years ago there was about 10 channels available.

To anybody thinking of getting TV shows online I would ask what is the resolution you'll get. I always laugh at those netflix commercials talking about watching TV on the Wii console. The picture quality of the Wii makes my eyes bleed.

It funny how a location change and maybe a streak of luck one way or another can give two different people differnt experiences. Your post reads almost exactly like mine, except I would reverse DirectTV and DISH. For me, DISH has been the savior and Direct was not so good.

If your DVR was crashing alot and replacement boxes did the same thing, I would be suspicous of the power and wiring in the home. It sounds like the issue has been resolved by moving toa different provider, but still...its just plain weird. My dish DVR is one of the most reliable pieces of consumer electronics in my house...after 5 years or so we still have had no problems...pretty remarkable considering its just a computer hard drive.

It also could be that you're on a different generation of DVR box too ? MAybe one generation is OK then another is bad.

One thing is for sure... With the Dish Network problems if we kept the DVR storage nearly empty it would be OK but if we let the memory get half full the crashes would start up. It was really strange. If a show crashed at 3min and 15 sec into a program it would crash at that spot every time without fail. Then once you learn where the bad section is on that episode you could fast forward through it and watch your show... Until the next freeze. At it's worst I've had 5 or 6 crashes in a 30 minute show. Somehow I managed not to smash it into little bits and pieces (just barely).

You might consider staying with cable since its avialable to you , especially if you have more then one tv. Satelite requires additional recievers for each tv. Also the dish does not work sometimes in very bad weather. I wouldn't say cable was any more reliable though. I had direct tv for 2 years. They offer a deal for the first year then your bill goes up , not a surprise but to a preagreed price. Direct tv customer service people were always nice and helpful when I called. Sometimes I had to wait on the phone but not loger then 30 minutes. Another worth while consideration is you can usually cancel your cable without any penalty but if you enter a 2 year agreement with a satilite company you will incurr a early termination fee if you cancel prior to the contract time.

Status
Not open for further replies.