Dishwasher replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
I just bought a new dishwasher and will be picking it up later this week. The guy said I will probably need a new water line, something about having to cut the fitting off on the old one. Sounds like BS to me, and thiers are $18, I think I can get one at Home Depot for much less. Anyone ever replaced a dishwasher before?

I put a new one from Sears in last year to replace my 20 year GE. The copper water line that had been connected to the old one mated right up to the new one.

I did one that had a crimp fitting at the dishwasher. Just get the thread requirments for the dishwasher end and get a new flex line from HD. You may need an adapter if its set up for copper tubing.

Its only like 7-8 years old, but its a cheap POS. I am pretty sure there is a flex under the sink going to the dishwasher. If it doesn't fit I'll go get a new line quick, but I think it will.

My 1985 GE never did clean dishes very well but kept going and going. Last year I needed a part for it and when I fired up google to look for the part I found a recall on the thing from 1999. Seems the thing had been burning houses down for years and I never knew it. The heated drying function had a wiring problem and fortunately we had never used it. Wouldn't it have been a groan to heat with wood for 30 years and then have my dishwasher burn the house down.

Thanks GE.

I replaced mine a couple years ago. Went through the whole water line bit... (this is all working in that 3" space below the dishwasher)

Old fitting was corroded so I tore it up getting it off the old dishwasher. Was able to salvage just enough of the old copper line to put a new compression fitting on. Somehow the new fitting got cross threaded and leaked. I cut that fitting off and put a second new one on, but didn't notice that the copper line got crimped when I pulled it out to 'get a little extra room' So I got all that put together and the dishwasher took about 15 minutes to fill. So I pulled everything out again, bought two more new compression fittings and a new length of copper line and FINALLY got everything put back together. I hate plumbing!

Corey

my new Whirlpool was plug and play. I unscrewed the old water line and screwed it in to the new dishwasher. Same for the waste water hose coming out of it. Nothing new needed.

New whirlpool is in. The drain hose I changed out because the end was different. So instead of trying to jam them together I just ran the new one that came with the thing. Power and water lines were easily compatible.

FYI, don't unplug the drain hose after testing because you want to move it around underneath. Had to change shirts and use a full roll of paper towels to clean that up. Maybe thats why it says in the manual to put a pan under it when disconnecting. :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.