Dishwasher Soap causing a Blue silicon like build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighting Up

Feeling the Heat
Jan 30, 2010
Roc City NY
If your using Finish Dishwasher Liquid soap (Blue Bottle)...Stop before you need a new dishwasher. Spent the weekend ripping the dishwasher apart twice because a blue silicon builds up and clogs the sprayers burning up the pump. Never seen anything like it. I must of taken out 2 lbs of this blue slicon or soap build up. If your using it and see small blue particals left on the dishes you have they same problem.
md

Ouch, thanks for the heads up.
I use The finish dry tabs. They were recommended by the dishwasher company so I'd assume they're save to use ;)
No problems after a year so far... dishes come out sparkly.

yeah, I think your fine with the dry. I think they used to much of a silicon product as a filler and it's causing the problem I may switch to a dry soap too.
md

what sorta water do you have? I forgot to fill up the water softener w/ salt once and i got all sortsa precipitates in the dishwasher. went away once i added the salt.

We have great water here in Upstate NY no softer needed where I am.

Just to give a update it took 4 times taking apart, 10 washes with Vinegar and hot hot water, 8 times scrubbing the inside walls to get the silicone or soap build up out of the small sprayers and dishwasher. This is a Kitchenaid and it now washes like brand New again. I will never use Finish Soap again.
md

Adding a little "Lemi-Shine" is a good preventative regardless of the soap used. It's near the dishwasher detergents in a small plastic bottle. It's just citric acid but it cuts the film from clear drinking glasses and cleans the components of the dishwasher at the same time.

Stephen in SoKY said:
Adding a little "Lemi-Shine" is a good preventative regardless of the soap used. It's near the dishwasher detergents in a small plastic bottle. It's just citric acid but it cuts the film from clear drinking glasses and cleans the components of the dishwasher at the same time.

I sell a lot of it, and use it myself. We have very hard water in our area, and my dishwasher is spotless using this
product.

There are also dishwasher cleaning "bombs" that you can buy....I believe Homies and Lowes carry them. You put them in the silverware tray and run the dishwasher (no dishes in it). I've also had good luck with CLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.