dishwashers and extended warrenties?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
So were buying a new dishwasher from the orange store and I'm debating as to whether I should buy the extended warranty 3 years for $60 or 5 years for $110. The dishwasher is $649 with $50 off until Wednesday. I just never know if they're worth it or not. So I figured Id get the opinion of my fellow wood, pellet, and gas burners.

Read the fine print to see what's really covered, and for how long, and make sure house calls are included. By and large, extended warranties are a ripoff, but they remain popular. How long is the manufacturer's warranty? That time must be subtracted from the extended plan, since they overlap.
That said, if it covers everything, I must say I would be tempted at that price.

Anybody ever hear of a dishwasher crapping out in just five years? My last one lasted 24 years. Builder grade that came with the new house.

When it broke I got online to search for a part and discovered that it was recalled twenty years before for causing house fires. !!!

Full disclosure: I just bought the first extended warranty of my life. My wife is an invalid and her TV runs 24 hours a day. She fries one every two years like clockwork. The 37" flat screen I bought her cooked a power supply in a year and a half. For the replacement I popped the fifty bucks for a four year extended warranty from WalMart. >>

Never ever bought an extended warranty on any purchase. Never ever regretted having not bought one. Just another revenue stream for somebody else. I buy what I believe to be good quality stuff, and I trust the manufacturers to stand behind their products. YMMV Rick

Reactions: firefighterjake
Yea, extended warranties are just easy profit for the retailer. Same with cars. I buy everything with Mastercard. They double warranty and and have an easy claim process, better than Visa. I think American Express has even better card benefits.

The few I have bought I used but I rarely ever purchase them and I agree they are a ripoff.

[Edit] Good point I did not know the credit card companies offered extended waranties just for using the card for purchases...Thanks for the info.

Yea, extended warranties are just easy profit for the retailer. Same with cars. I buy everything with Mastercard. They double warranty and and have an easy claim process, better than Visa. I think American Express has even better card benefits.
I had no idea that a credit card company offered warranty stuff thanks for that Ill have to look into a new credit card.

I had no idea that a credit card company offered warranty stuff thanks for that Ill have to look into a new credit card.
A new credit card? What else is there besides Visa and MC? All cards have it

Reactions: mattjm1017
I don't think I've ever gone with the extended warranty . . . except for one time on a car and there was some extenuating circumstances involving the dealership and my lemon of a Jeep. In looking back I'm not sure, but I think the dealership may have been pulling a fast one . . . on the company though since I bought the warranty after bringing it to them when the engine blew up and they were able to cover it under the extended warranty.

If memory serves me right, Consumer Reports generally recommends not buying extended warrantees . . . and truth be told . . . most of the time when I've had stuff break down such as large appliances, electronics, etc. it is either well past the time I expected it to go, the price to fix it was reasonable or it was covered by the original warrantee and was a manufacturing defect (I think that happened once or twice.)

A new credit card? What else is there besides Visa and MC? All cards have it

I had no idea Ill have to call my visa card people about it.

When I built the log house 25 years ago, I went to Sears and bought all of the Kitchen appliances. Sure enough 2 weeks later the phone rings, "I see you didn't buy the extended warranty" the voice said. My reply was simply, Do I NEED it? Now what are you going to say to counter that? If you say yes, the appliances are coming back to the store, If you say no, I say Have a nice day! Never heard from them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.