Disintegration of Piazzetta Monia grate baffle plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $5700 Canadian for stove and installation _g. Wife's choice, happy wife, happy life ;)
That's about $4500 USD. I suppose depending on installation demands, and amount of venting, that could easily add $1000. Then you have your taxes. So, while it may seem pricey, it's probably the norm there.

We pay 13% taxes <>. My stove is on the living room wall, vent goes through that wall out into my attached garage, 90 degree t, and then a straight, vertical rise of 12-14 feet of venting that goes through roof with a rain cap at the end. I think I paid quite a bit for all that venting.

You are about taxed to death in Canada, thought it was bad here (states) but Canada and the EU is much worse.

Reactions: Pascal_Maertens
You are about taxed to death in Canada, thought it was bad here (states) but Canada and the EU is much worse.
But their health plan works;lol

But their health plan works;lol

I also realize that by responding, I'm flirting with a thread lock so please excuse this....

It does, to a point. Everyone pays into it, it's mandatory however, some services/procedures Canadians require, they come here for so it's not perfect but it's a dam site better than Obamacare. My saving grace, if you will, is I'm on permanent waivers. I never have to partake in Obamacare so long as I live.... glad of that btw.

Back to regular programming and please excuse the detour.

We pay 13% taxes <>. My stove is on the living room wall, vent goes through that wall out into my attached garage, 90 degree t, and then a straight, vertical rise of 12-14 feet of venting that goes through roof with a rain cap at the end. I think I paid quite a bit for all that venting.
Yeah, wouldn't take much to get to $5700 CAD. In the US, I recall the Monia was $2700 at my local shop. They charged me $500 for the ICC Excel venting, and it wasn't a lot of venting. And, they wanted $500 for install, but I did it instead. So, if you paid a little more for your vent, let's guesstimate $3900 for parts and install, then add in your 13%, takes you right up to $4400. And, adjust for exchange rates, and voila, $5500 CAD.

So VAT is 13% give or take? Wowzer....

So VAT is 13% give or take? Wowzer....
The breakdown is 5% to the feds; 8% to the province. The provincial tax rate can vary from province to province. The bad part is ... taxes apply to heating oil, electricity, etc.

adjust for exchange rates, and voila, $5500 CAD
Likely when 709GADE bought the stove, exchange rates were closer to parity last year ($0.10 +/-). Just lately they've gone insane again:( http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/

I'm curious on what the replacement cost of the part is - both US and Canada. It seems like we get priced out of proportion compared to the US ... factoring in exchange and a bit extra for shipping.

Reactions: chken
In my other life and business, I sell quite a bit to Canadians, not stove related, motorcycle related and even though Ontario province is but 55 miles from me, shipping there (Windsor) entails full customs disclosure and a protracted trip through Canadian customs. It actually takes longer for me to send a package to Windsor (as an example) than it does for me to send a package to Australia and Australian customs are much easier to deal with.

Never could figure that out.

Our stoves are available in the US from around $1,300 I think. No idea what Piazettas are.
Wow that is very inexpensive especially for such an efficient stove. Where can I get one?? My cheapie Englander goes for a few hundred more than that new. The stove I'd really like, the Quad Mt Vernon AE goes for $4,150 for the base model with no options and black paint.

As to the OP... not that its much consolation but I'm on my second burn pot in the first season and the other fellow here with a similar stove is on his 3rd in one season...

Our stove has a cast stainless pot. It ain't ever gonna burn out.

I'd really like to see a picture of your casting for one (I went to the site and all I see is a welded sheet stainless pot of questionable alloy (no alloy listed)... Two, stainless will corrode/erode just like steel will, when subject to an oxidizer (oxygen) and heat (combustion heat). It's not the 'end all' answer to combustion pot degredation. I see 3 units on the site, one is the unit that Northern sells at the same price point, and two others. Which is which?

Your comment.... He sells the stove but I get nothing from it...... seems cryptic. He sells your stove but you realize no comission or profit from the sales. You don't impress me as a philanthropist. Something is missing in the equation......

I'd really like to see a picture of your casting for one (I went to the site and all I see is a welded sheet stainless pot of questionable alloy (no alloy listed)... Two, stainless will corrode/erode just like steel will, when subject to an oxidizer (oxygen) and heat (combustion heat). It's not the 'end all' answer to combustion pot degredation. I see 3 units on the site, one is the unit that Northern sells at the same price point, and two others. Which is which?

Your comment.... He sells the stove but I get nothing from it...... seems cryptic. He sells your stove but you realize no comission or profit from the sales. You don't impress me as a philanthropist. Something is missing in the equation......
I take it as he sells the same stove from China as chickenman

I take it as he sells the same stove from China as chickenman

Don't know Bio...Lets let him reply. My curiosity is aroused now..... Tryong to read between the lines is getting confusing.

The one unit on the site is certainly Chinese manufacture, the one on the right on the 'products' page. Thats the same exact unit that Northern sells. at, the same price point. Knowing Northern and their continuious quest for maximum profit, I'd say the markup is at least 35%, possibly more. It's an 800 dollar unit for over a grand.

Gar as the other 2, I don't know about. They are alien to me.

I may visit some day, I have a lot of customers there and they all want me to come visit with them and mum;lol;lol.... I do a lot of business around the Gold Coast area, It's just such a long plane ride and I hate to sit.

Has anyone noticed this with their Piazzetta's, my grate baffle plate is disintegrating (see attached picture)? Take notice how thin the little arm/hook is on the left side in the picture as compared to the right side. The shadow really shows how thin it has become. The stove is only 9 months old, I have burned about 3.5 tonnes. Would this be covered under warranty I wonder....View attachment 156216
we do have some that need to be replace, it's all on warrenty but it's not like it's all off them seems like only a few are problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.