Disolving creasote in heat exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fhon

Jan 24, 2013
PA
I'm currently building a gasifier and am concerned about creatose build up in the heat exhanger. I wondering if there's something that can be used to remove any build up inside. I was thinking an alkaline cleaner suck as sodium hydroxide or PBW (used for brewing but can take tar off the driveway <>) Is alkaline the way to go?

I use a product by Rutland twice a week, turns everything into a nice fine brushable powder...Rutland creosote cleaner.

If it is a gasifier, and you have dry wood, there should be no creosote. Only brushable soot

For a Greenwood 100, a couple of scoops gets added to the fire, if there is a flame its applicable, like someone pointed out if everything is perfect, there should be little or no creosote...but often everything is not perfect, so the Rutland is a little cheap insurance..

I have never had creosote in my hx tubes, part way into year 4. If you can prevent idling, it shouldn't happen, but storage is likely key for that. Some have posted about buying or making tools to chuck in drills to scrape tubes with. I have no experience with Rutland stuff, but might be worth a try? Or the potato treatment.

Since the potatoe trick was brought up...supposedly burning an aluminum drink can once in a while works too

When I had my old boiler, I did try those magic creosote logs once (think I got a box for Xmas), and also used to throw potatoe peelings in the odd time. Didn't notice them doing anything, but I might have seen some kind of result if I had swept the next day, or something like that. There might be a very short window immediately after using some of these things where they might make a sweep give better results?

Could be the stuff of pixie dust too, I suppose. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.