Disposing of ash from pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that tip ... same happening here so will dose it with ash and see what happens.

Just be careful in how much ash is spread on the lawn. A little is good, a lot is not necessarily better:( as it changes the ph of the soil. We have been donating our ash to a neighbour who tries to grow grass under his pine trees. The ash changes the ph of the soil so that relatively healthy grass can grow ... not as robust as his grass in other places but definitely better than before.

I second this. I have one pine tree left in my yard, and the ashes are placed under it, as well as in my garden. Pine needles are acidic, ash residue is basic (base).

When people made their own soap centuries ago, you didn't buy lye in a can. You ran water through wood ashes and continued to use fresh ash until an egg or potato would float about midway in the water. At that point the pH was basic enough to saponify the fat. (we make soap at home, but I use the canned lye :) )

Reactions: vinny11950
You ran water through wood ashes and continued to use fresh ash until an egg or potato would float about midway in the water. At that point the pH was basic enough to saponify the fat. (
Interesting use of ash...

Status
Not open for further replies.