Distribution Blower motor too hot to touch...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StovePig

Jan 11, 2014
MA
I have a Harman P61a and the distribution blower motor is running so hot you can hardly touch it. I noticed it at the end of last season and the plan is to get a new one as I am pretty sure that is not normal. I inherited the stove with the house not sure how old or how much it was used. Any ideas on life span of these motors and if the heat is normal?

This is the motor I have... http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Blower-2C647?searchQuery=2c647

It's a Dayton/Broan motor 99080464

I would remove and blow out motor with compressed air to chase out the dust bunnies as well as the fan too. A little TLC can keep those motors running near forever. We have a Whitfield wp1 that still is fine. A good post season cleaning and if motor is so equipt a couple drops of oil. I am servicing a Queen Air fireplace and the Dayton motors are close to thirty years old, while another that had not been serviced regularly is being scrapped.

The distribution fan motor in my P68 gets too hot to touch as well; it's normal. Can't hurt to take it off and clean it like Bio indicated though.

To get a real idea of how hot one needs a true temp reading. Ones fingers feel hot at 120 or so and not a real problem. A laser temp sensor is invaluable.

Status
Not open for further replies.