distribution/convection fan buzz/hum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
While using the stove last night for the first time, I was fiddling with the controls every once in a while to try to get used to what they did. When I turned the distribution blower speed adjustment between Low and High (so somewhere in the middle) there was a buzzing/humming noise that sounded like it was coming from behind the adjustment dial. I assume the control board is immediately behind the dials. It’s a brand new stove and I am completely new to pellet stoves so maybe it’s normal but I’m not sure. Any ideas?

Stove do make noise, even new ones.

There is nothing (shouldn't be) in the controls that can make noise as it's all solid state stuff.

What is probably happening is that the fan motor is working in a speed range that is causing a harmonic to set up in the motor or something else in the stoves metal pieces thats vibrating or otherwise causing noise.

If you can carefully open the mechanical cabinet and observe whats going on, you may be able to isolate the noise and figure out whats causing it.

BE CAREFUL as there is HIGH voltage in there while the stove is plugged in.

Many times during operation when the room air fan is set to other than full speed, the motors will make a humming, buzzing or funny noise.

The speed of the fan is controlled by a TRIAC and if the triac is not producing a good clean even voltage wave form the stator in the motor can see a harmonic set up that can at times be anoying.

What you describe may be nothing more than a piece of sheetmetal vibrating.

Pellet stoves are not usually tetsted more than to run the system long enough to be sure that the feed motor and fans all work.

These stoves are not burn tested and observed by a technician who then tweeks every little nuance.

Some tweeking can certainly be normal.

We have three stoves here at the place and they all have "personalities" and make their own little noises.

Be careful and have a peek while the noise is happening and you can likely figure it out..

Keep us posted

Snowy

mepellet said:
While using the stove last night for the first time, I was fiddling with the controls every once in a while to try to get used to what they did. When I turned the distribution blower speed adjustment between Low and High (so somewhere in the middle) there was a buzzing/humming noise that sounded like it was coming from behind the adjustment dial. I assume the control board is immediately behind the dials. It’s a brand new stove and I am completely new to pellet stoves so maybe it’s normal but I’m not sure. Any ideas?

I have a P43 which is basically the same as your stove but smaller. Mine does the same exact thing. I think it's normal too.

PJPellet said:
mepellet said:

I have a P43 which is basically the same as your stove but smaller. Mine does the same exact thing. I think it's normal too.

Ok good to know... I might still try to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from because I can hear it when my arse is sitting on the couch.

mepellet said:
PJPellet said:
mepellet said:

Ok good to know... I might still try to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from because I can hear it when my arse is sitting on the couch.

LOL...I believe it's the distribution fan.

The fan motors depending on the type used and how well the react to the voltage being supplied through a Triac will dictate how much "Buzz" or noise they make.

Even some light bulbs running dimmed through a Triac will make a noise.

One of my previous stoves had a "Sweet Spot" that the fan motor was fairly happy and would not make excessive noise.

Most generally the noise made by a fan motor running on a Triac will be a whine or pulsing wa wa type noise.

Many times a piece of rubber about 1 inch wide, and long enough to wrap around the motor and secured with a hose clamp will dampen the noise to a point that its no longer an issue.

Good luck

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
The fan motors depending on the type used and how well the react to the voltage being supplied through a Triac will dictate how much "Buzz" or noise they make.

Even some light bulbs running dimmed through a Triac will make a noise.

One of my previous stoves had a "Sweet Spot" that the fan motor was fairly happy and would not make excessive noise.

Most generally the noise made by a fan motor running on a Triac will be a whine or pulsing wa wa type noise.

Many times a piece of rubber about 1 inch wide, and long enough to wrap around the motor and secured with a hose clamp will dampen the noise to a point that its no longer an issue.

Good luck

Snowy

That's great information and advice. I actually put a tennis ball between the motor and hearth pad and it dulled it a bit, not enough for me to leave a tennis ball there.lol If it bothers me this year I'll try the rubber and hose clamp. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.