Distribution of Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfetone

Apr 29, 2014
MA
Ok,

So as per my other post there is now a wood stove sitting in front of the original fireplace. We removed the wood fireplace, replaced with a marble, and placed a Jotul F500/Oslo.

The guys wanted a photo of the room set up:
The door to the left leads out to the kitchen, right behind where the ladder is you can see one of two sets of stairs in the house.
In the other photo you see the larger doorway, and to the left of that is another set of stairs.

The problem is, the heat is building up mainly in this room, the kitchen feels much cooler. The stove room got up to 85F.

Ideas For Spreading Heat From This Room:
Use the central air, put the central air on Fan ON, to circulate.

Place a vent above each doorway at the ceiling to allow the hot air to pass to each room. Possibly a vent with a fan to aid hot air removal from the room.
Since the stairs are behind the wall, place a vent there to allow the hot air up the stairs, or place a vent directly in the ceiling to the 2nd floor.
Place a Jotul accessory fan or fans in the room to circulate the air.
Or....place a ceiling fan above the stove in reverse to blow the hot air downward and hopefully out the doors......

Any advice on this layout????

IMG_2358.JPG IMG_2356.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start by trying to move the cold air out of the cold room and into the heated room. Cold air is easier to move than warm air (density). Small fans at floor level on low can move lots of air. Give it a try. If you really want to get strange looks from people, tape up strips of toilet paper about 20" long in the doorways. You can watch the thermal loop happening.
Don't be afraid of experimenting. Move the fans around to see where you get the best results.

Last edited:
As Jags mentioned . . . start with the simplest and cheapest solution first . . . try the "fan trick" . . . you may be surprised at how well that will move the heat. Yes, the room with the stove will always be warmer than adjacent rooms, but using a fan you can often move quite a bit of that heat to other rooms in the home. In my own case, the woodstove heat pretty much heats the entire place . . . although due to the layout of my house the master bedroom/bathroom and bathroom/mudroom/boiler room are notably cooler than other rooms in the house.

Fans work! And way less work than cutting vents and opening/reinforcing headers for a "little" better air flow. I point one fan at the bottom of the stairway at my freestanding stove that's in the basement. The difference it made was unbelievable! It actually made the stove room comfortable to sit in and raised the rest of the house/rooms an average of 5 degrees.

Can you draw a quick sketch of the 1st floor plan and post it here? Also, is there a basement?

Status
Not open for further replies.