DIY Chimney cleaning / how often to call a pro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Piggy back question about bottom up cleaning with inserts (Sooteater or otherwise) - do you have to remove the insert to clean bottom up, or are you usually able to feed the brush and rods up through the bypass?
That depends on the insert with yours I would pull out the baffle and brush up through

Reactions: iamlucky13
Reviving my old thread since I finally got around to getting the sooteater and gave the first non-professional cleaning today.

I had a sweep clean before the start of last season so I started clean. Burned mostly 1 year (probably less than 1 year old) cherry, some 2 year hardwood mix and a few packages of bio bricks. About 2 cords total more or less.

Here's what I got out from the 32' liner, uninsulated in an exterior chimney. A little more than I wanted.

IMG_1123.JPG

What came out was like dirt, a little shiny black and brown mix. I think that's normal...

IMG_1124.JPG

Pic of the liner. I don't think I did as good a job as I wanted when the brush is at a funny angle right out of the insert. Is this worth going back to get it squeaky clean?

IMG_1126.JPG

The plan is to do a mid season cleaning and then have someone out to do an inspection in between seasons. The last guy did a flashlight inspection. Might ask for a camera since the liner isn't insulated and I'm sure it's whatever the cheapest thing the stove shop had to keep their price low.

Does the "lifetime warranty" on liners not require a CSIA sweep every year?

I really don't think so. But if you have a chimney fire, it may void your warrantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.