DIY Chimney Crown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would opt for a cement-based plastic sheath, fibre-reinforced which remains slightly breathable, It's what I used on a concrete wall

Open to it, thinking a standard concrete sealer once it fully cures?
I'm not sure, I used Thompson's Water Seal on the cement blocks on the garage since they're porous.

Use siloxane wb (water based) concentrate. Works great on the concrete and the masonry. It is an air permeable sealer that most architects in this area spec for commercial work when they want it sealed. It has a minimum 15 to 20 year life span. Very easy to apply. It's not cheap, but it's the real deal.

Reactions: thewoodlands
There is no need for any sealer if the masonry is done right

you could actually do everything in siloxane However, keep in mind that after the treatment, you will not be able to paint, or redo the joints of the bricks, because there will be little adhesion, you should pass an acid to restore adhesion, therefore evaluate whether you do not need to carry out those operations, siloxane will be an excellent completion of the work the nice thing, you can spray it without fear of staining other things, because it disappears from sight

you could actually do everything in siloxane However, keep in mind that after the treatment, you will not be able to paint, or redo the joints of the bricks, because there will be little adhesion, you should pass an acid to restore adhesion, therefore evaluate whether you do not need to carry out those operations, siloxane will be an excellent completion of the work the nice thing, you can spray it without fear of staining other things, because it disappears from sight
Siloxane will absolutely stain certain roofing materials.

I used Mapei Antipluviol W which is siloxane, applied with a spray gun, I didn't find any stains but I don't know of other products
I have found its really visible on metal roofing. A very slight change in color but big difference in sheen

Reactions: Prometeo