1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Q&A DIY for Gas Vent-Free Logs

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

QandA New Member Staff Member

Question:

My main priority is additional heat (for my wife) in the family room/kitchen. I'd also like to get the most visual appeal. I've been told to go vent free by some and direct vent by others. we'll use the gas logs from 5 pm to 10 pm on a daily basis. is vent free the way to go? can i get the same amount of heat from a direct vent? how many btu's in direct vent matches btu's in vent free? in other words- if a vent free will give me 32-000 btu's- is this the same as 32-000 btu's in a direct vent or do i need to get a higher btu rated direct vent. is vent free used as i described safe? I always prefer a direct vent if it can be used--cause it takes the air from outside and returns the gases there also.

Answer:

Vent-free's are safe- but if you are very sensitive to odors- or the oxygen level in the air- you may feel mild discomfort.
    Most direct vents are 80% efficient- so 40,000 input would equal 32,000 output.
    <p>
    Five hours every day is fairly heavy use. I would suggest that a vented appliance might be the best fit for your situation.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.