Q&A DIY for Gas Vent-Free Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My main priority is additional heat (for my wife) in the family room/kitchen. I'd also like to get the most visual appeal. I've been told to go vent free by some and direct vent by others. we'll use the gas logs from 5 pm to 10 pm on a daily basis. is vent free the way to go? can i get the same amount of heat from a direct vent? how many btu's in direct vent matches btu's in vent free? in other words- if a vent free will give me 32-000 btu's- is this the same as 32-000 btu's in a direct vent or do i need to get a higher btu rated direct vent. is vent free used as i described safe? I always prefer a direct vent if it can be used--cause it takes the air from outside and returns the gases there also.

Answer:

Vent-free's are safe- but if you are very sensitive to odors- or the oxygen level in the air- you may feel mild discomfort.
Most direct vents are 80% efficient- so 40,000 input would equal 32,000 output.
<p>
Five hours every day is fairly heavy use. I would suggest that a vented appliance might be the best fit for your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.