DIY Hearthstone Clydesdale Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi K,

Thanks for posting that review. I know it was last year but it has really helped me. Loved the details! Exactly what I was looking for. What tool did you use to cut away that piece of the damper? That is where I am at in my project.

Sean

Reactions: K.Landrum
Hello- nice looking job, but BG is right, should all be stainless for durability. Beautiful stove and choice of stove.

Fantastic advice everyone. I made some changes. Does this look more acceptable? (better, because that's about as low as she can go)

Hi K,

Thanks for posting that review. I know it was last year but it has really helped me. Loved the details! Exactly what I was looking for. What tool did you use to cut away that piece of the damper? That is where I am at in my project.

Sean

I used an angle grinder. I had to get "all up in it." I was inside my fireplace in multiple positions. I had sheets draped off the mantle to keep with dust in check. I recommend the painting sock, bandana, eye protection, hearing protecting, and good ventilation. Be safe.

Fantastic advice everyone. I made some changes. Does this look more acceptable? (better, because that's about as low as she can go)

Attachments

• 20151014_154631.jpg
    20151014_154631.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 20151014_153227.jpg
    20151014_153227.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20151014_154124.jpg
    20151014_154124.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 20151014_154708.jpg
    20151014_154708.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 120
I know why it went in so well!
20141216_113636-jpg.148398

148426-286433f210575b57eb5b7123f6e85dd2.jpg
Great supervision!
I bet you have a hard time getting near the hearth!
My pic 597.jpg
I have the same unit!

While I cant quote any code on this, I find it hard to believe that the shared cap trapping chimney exhaust is either safe or legal. The way it was in the first pictures with separate caps looked far safer, and even then a downdraft situation could happen. If there is outside air to the stove, I missed it. As much air leaving that chimney will be drawn in elsewhere, very likely through the other chimney a foot away from the exhaust.

While I cant quote any code on this, I find it hard to believe that the shared cap trapping chimney exhaust is either safe or legal. The way it was in the first pictures with separate caps looked far safer, and even then a downdraft situation could happen. If there is outside air to the stove, I missed it. As much air leaving that chimney will be drawn in elsewhere, very likely through the other chimney a foot away from the exhaust.
It is done all the time no code problems and rarely and issues with smoke or fumes coming down other flues. I have been doing this a long time and only see about one a year where smoke coming down another flue is an issue.

Does this look more acceptable?
Looks good you could trim down that collar a couple inches if need be but i think it should be fine now. The small mesh on the cap screen is not the best but you will just have to wait and see.

I know why it went in so well!

Great supervision!
I bet you have a hard time getting near the hearth!

View attachment 163849
I have the same unit!

SeanMcG - You're only as good as the leadership you are given. ==c My dogs love the hearth but yours looks like he has that thing under extremely tight security! Don't get bitten while putting wood in!

electrathon - I'm still warming up to the world of wood heat; however, I don't see any harm in setup. Only two flue are able to be used. The middle just goes down 5-6 feet and dead ends (all masonry). The far left flue Goes all the way down to the basement and dead ends (again, all masonry). At some point I will probably try to tie into it and have a small stove in basement. Even then, the top of both active flues are well below the bottom of the cap. While it may be hard to see in the pictures, both flues may as well be two separate stand alone chimneys. If any downdraft would ever occur, it will certainly be fresh air. The fumes of one active flue have ample room to "roll" out from under cap and rise, as the cooler outside air stays below. That is, IF, I install a small stove in basement at some point.

It is done all the time no code problems and rarely and issues with smoke or fumes coming down other flues. I have been doing this a long time and only see about one a year where smoke coming down another flue is an issue.

Looks good you could trim down that collar a couple inches if need be but i think it should be fine now. The small mesh on the cap screen is not the best but you will just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I thought about that possibility. I'm hoping I will be in good shape for now. If not, I still can come down a few more inches. Is the mesh going to get pretty funky??

Thanks to all, SO MUCH!!!!!!!==c==c==c

Status
Not open for further replies.