DIY Install Gone Bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I'm surprised they didn't overfire it burning the shipping carton!

That's downright un-American not to burn the skid and the box it came in! :coolsmirk:

There is an old saying that goes:

"The stupid shall be punished", and it definitely applies in this case.

Just last night I was thinking of some of the different ways one could manage to burn down one's (or one's neighbors' property). Any such list would have to be considered incomplete, because while intelligence is limited, stupidity knows no bounds.

A few that came to my mind:
A stray burning ember emptied into the trash - I have seen, on at least two occasions, a trash truck burning merrily away as it motored down the road.
An ember almost, but not quite out, brought violently to life by the ill-advised use of a vacuum cleaner.
Flue fire
Sparks let loose when the loading door was left ajar while user went outside for another armload.
Installation of stove/pipe too close to a combustible wall (how may people think that a drywall covered wood stud wall is "incombustible"?)
Over-fired stove with broken stone/weld/casting.
Stacking fuel close to the loading door where the odd spark can lodge quietly unseen - until it finally erupts.
Getting rid of all the Christmas packaging in the fireplace. Don't ask, it was nearly 40 years ago and the memory is still green.

Mark

jotul8e2 said:
Just last night I was thinking of some of the different ways one could manage to burn down one's (or one's neighbors' property). Any such list would have to be considered incomplete, because while intelligence is limited, stupidity knows no bounds.

A few that came to my mind:
A stray burning ember emptied into the trash - I have seen, on at least two occasions, a trash truck burning merrily away as it motored down the road.
An ember almost, but not quite out, brought violently to life by the ill-advised use of a vacuum cleaner.
Flue fire
Sparks let loose when the loading door was left ajar while user went outside for another armload.
Installation of stove/pipe too close to a combustible wall (how may people think that a drywall covered wood stud wall is "incombustible"?)
Over-fired stove with broken stone/weld/casting.
Stacking fuel close to the loading door where the odd spark can lodge quietly unseen - until it finally erupts.
Getting rid of all the Christmas packaging in the fireplace. Don't ask, it was nearly 40 years ago and the memory is still green.

Mark
My wife and I were standing close by our Jotul 606 soaking up heat before we left for the day and a coal popped out of the nearly closed air control. It landed about 5' away from the stove, fortunately we have laminate flooring beyond our tile. We left that stove burning and the 118 before that every day with no attendance. Good thing we were home that day! :eek:hh: It did seal the deal on the Oslo 500 I had my eye on! :)

Hey, I grew up in that town. Color me surprised. :smirk:

-geek

There is an old saying... "Life is tough, and even tougher when you're stupid."

-SF

"we don't need no stinking instructions" glad they are not my neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.