DIY Install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wachusett

Feeling the Heat
Apr 12, 2010
Wachusett Reservoir, MA.
Two questions I'm sure someone has dealt with.

1. The stove adapter attaching to the flue collar. I am using 4" Simpson PVP, the adapter slides onto the flue collar for about 3/4"
then is snug tight, should this go on further? The collar is 2" long. Not sure if I should press this on further, this would require
placing a block off wood over the adapter and taping with a hammer. (Trying to get away from fixing things with hammer. :shut: )

2. The install location is in the corner, this puts the piping/ wall thimble through a wall 2x4 wall stud. Any sugggestions on framing
this out. Moving the stove to avoid the stud pushes it to far into the room.

With any luck and the chill in the air as motivation, I should have install and pics soon.

You need a good bead a silicone on the adaptor, I would push it as far as it goes, and then tap it in a little further so it is nice and snug.

Would have to see the structure to have a good comment on the cutting of a stud. Ext walls should be 2x6 though to get proper insulation?

my guess would be to frame it out with a header and jack studs just like a window.
also allowing proper clearance to combustibles.

I installed my own stove and I downloaded stove pipe instructions for Simpson Dura-Vent from their website. The instructions took about 40 pages, but if I remember right there was a section on framing through a stud wall.

Thanks for the help. I will have to check the Simpson website. I was able to get the adapter to fit more better.
The inside edge of the adapter pipe had a slight bur or lip from the manufacturing process. I filed this off, and
the adapter slid on another 1/2". Fits very snug.

Status
Not open for further replies.