DIY installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtyoung

Oct 1, 2010
central, ma
We are looking to purchase an omega pellet stove. the question we have is about installation. We are going to install it in our basement as a second source of heat. The chimney has 6 flues in it, can we hook the vent pipe right into the chimney and be ok or do we have to have a separate vent pipe run up the chimney to get better results?

I'm pretty sure that in MA you are obligated to run a liner up the flue you intend to use (so long as its not in use by any other appliance).

Hello

I vented my pellet stove into my chimney without adding an additional pellet liner and it works great! I did alot of research on the subject and if you have a chimney that is not on an outside wall and less than 30 feet from the ground up to the top, you will have absolutely no problems. The chimney cleanout makes it easy to cleanup the ash also. I use a shop vac for that. Also an OAK is recommended for better drafting. I have an OAK on mine in a basement install.

gtyoung said:
We are looking to purchase an omega pellet stove. the question we have is about installation. We are going to install it in our basement as a second source of heat. The chimney has 6 flues in it, can we hook the vent pipe right into the chimney and be ok or do we have to have a separate vent pipe run up the chimney to get better results?

Basement installs can be problematic. Some work well, others poorly.

Can you tell us what the condition is...finished or un-finished? Insulated? Where in relation to stairs to the main floor is the unit going to be located?

BTW, a search of this site will turn up many threads about this....search "pellet basement install"

As delta says check your local code. For best results I would run it to the roof and cap it. Or skip the flue and do an up and out with piping may be cheaper for you.

I am a fellow Omega owner. If you have any Question's? I will due my best to assist!

Hello

I have a basement install that works very well! It is in the center of the basement from left to right and also in the center from front to back. There is no insulation in the ceiling and it is also in front of the stairs in this split entry home. The doorway to upstairs has a doorway fan and there are 2 registers cut in the floor above the stove in the living room and kitchen with a fan in the ductwork to pull the heat upstairs. Both the fan in the doorway and the fan in the ductowrk are connected to a line voltage thermostat to the cooling contacts. So when the air above the pellet stove rises above 74 degrees both fans pull the heat upstairs. This design heats the entire 2,000 square feet with the pellet stove on the low # 1 setting most of the time. I have also made the chart below for when it gets really cold!

So my chart is as follows.

It will also explain the 5 heat setting at 20 MPH when temp was 4 degrees. the first arrow on the chart says 6 for the heat setting. At that time, we had it set to 5 when we were asleep and 6 when we woke up for more warmth and comfort!!

Pellet Stove Heat Setting, with the Air Restrictor on 2
and the Convection Fan on 6 (Highest)

Wind
Speed > 5 10 20
+or-5
MPH

Outside Astoria Astoria Astoria
Temp Heat Setting Heat Setting Heat Setting
+or-5
Degrees

0 4 5 6 <<<

10 3 4 5

20 2 3 4
<<<
30 1 2 3

Example: today (02-07-2010) at 2 pm, the temperature was 27 degrees F, and the Wind Speed was 9 MPH
Therefore, the chart above (2nd arrow) puts the heat setting between 3 and 2 (slightly closer to 2) We have it set to 3 for comfort although 2 would be adequate!!

The pellets called Logik-e and I purchased them at Dodge Grain in Salem NH. The are made in Canada and are excellent. See their web site >> http://logik-e.com/default.htm but does not show their WOOD PELLETS!
See pic of logik-e pellets below.

You can see the 3 phase Slide Show of our pellet stove Install on my Web Server just click on the link below.
http://24.34.84.89:8080/trhproj.nsf...42e1a03a71224912852575f4000e74cb?OpenDocument

Status
Not open for further replies.