DIY log splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
has anyone here built their own log splitter?
i have access to a hydraulic pump, hoses, I beam, and riding mower engine for free.
all i need is a the splitting wedge and to make up the mounts for each item right?
i have a mig and tig welder as well so that is a non issue.
am i missing anything?

anyone who has done this and has words of advice/tips i would ve grateful for any insight you can share.
thanks

I did it the easy way and bought a cheapest splitter and then bought a few parts to make it better.

You'll need the hydraulic cylinder, the control valve and a chassis to mount everything on. Do you want/need it to pivot vertically?

Do you weld for a living? If not, I'd reconsider the project. The forces involved are extremely high and could be deadly if it's not designed and built properly.

Don't need to weld for a living to make something stick together. I probably wouldn't build a splitter as a first welding project though.

Oh - I have a few under my wing. The first one I built is long gone (gave to brother).
Big boy:
2006_0304sm.JPG

And little boy:
splitter1.jpg

With a Mig or Tig, you will need a big example of either to get the penetration that is required. Is your pump a two stage splitter pump? Your missing the cylinder and control valve and tank, at first blush. Ask away. We will need some specifics on the parts you already have. Beam/pump/motor, etc.

Oh - and don't forget lots of misc. steel. You will be amazed at how much goes into this corner gusset or that motor mount or etc.....

i will get the specifics of the pump and other parts i already have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.