DIY or professional install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griz7674

Jan 28, 2009
Illinois
I bit the bullet and purchased a Lopi Leyden woodburner due to the sale that Lopi is currently running. The company I purchased it from insisted that installation was easy and was most certainly a DIY project. If I did not want to then they would do the install for $700 (standard ranch home install). While I can generally figure things out on my own and perform a fair amount of due dilligence, I am a bit nervous about cutting into my roof or making a newbie mistake that could potentially harm my investment or more importantly...my family.

Is it really as simple as I am being told or am I better off spending the money? I can afford to pay for it but I am also a bit of a miser hence my dillema. Thoughts? Thanks!

Bob

Is the $700 for a complete install? My local Hearthstone dealer wanted almost that much to deliver the stove and connect the stove pipe. The cost to run a liner in my chimney was extra. There is enough information that you can learn or ask here that you can do a install yourself if you want to save some money and you like doing that. Some people don't like doing that and will pay someone to do the install. You can also get some quotes from some local chimney sweeps.

That was for a full install. I truly do want to save money where I can but I don't want to be penny wise but pound foolish. From what I hear, the install can make or break a stove.

Bob

griz7674 said:
That was for a full install. I truly do want to save money where I can but I don't want to be penny wise but pound foolish. From what I hear, the install can make or break a stove.

Bob

For 700 bucks, have the pros do it, thats cheap price.

Sounds like you're running class A chimney through the ceiling and roof ?

Bob, I am now doing my own install for a new wood stove and I went through the same thought process as you are now considering. The decision comes down to seven questions: 1) Do you have the tools, knowledge and time to do it yourself? (apparently you do); 2) Do you have the money to have someone else do it?; 3) Will this someone else make a conscientious effort to do it right? Have you seen other work he/she has done?; 4) Will the installer follow all the manufacturers' instructions?; 5) Do you trust the installer?; 6) Does the price include delivering and setting up the stove, supplying, delivering and installing the hearth, placing the stove on the hearth, supplying delivering and installing the ceiling suppost box, properly trimming the ceiling around the support box, supplying, delivering and installing the class A chimney, double wall stove pipe, and other accessories recommended by the various manufacturers?

I finally decided to do the install myself with a friend helping. We have already installed the ceiling support box and I am now laying out the hearth. The stove and hearth have been carefully measured and designed to exceed all code requirements and be large enough to hold a rack of stove tools, an ash pan, and a cradle of wood. This morning I will finish a sheetrock patch job. This afternoon I will start the framing for the elevated hearth with Outside Air Kit entering under the hearth. I have already designed, and next week will build the "kit" to install a chase around the chimney where it exits through the ridge of my roof.

I have hired a local reputable roofer to cut the hole in the roof and install my chase kit aroung the chimney. I will supply a bundle of matching shingles, cap/ridge shingles, siding for the chase, and flashing to match the green roof. He will do all that work. Once the chase is finished I will order a chase cap and install the chimney, chase cap, storm collar and chimney top. Then I will break-in the stove with three progressively increasing fires. I'll be ready for next fall.

I built my own house 4 years ago and hired some very reputable guys to do most of the work. We butted heads through most of the project. I wanted them to install LVL's, siding , roofing, insulation, sheathing, sheetrock, rim joists, TJI's, etc., according to manufacturer's recommendations. They did not think the manufacturer's instructions were very important because"We have been building houses for more than 30 years and we have never had a house fall down...", etc. I won't get into all the frustrations!

I would recommend you read and learn as much as you can so you truly understand beforehand what and why things are done a certain way. Then do the job yourself with a helping friend and use a reputable roofer to do that work if you feel squeemish about it.

You will probably do a better job than a stranger would, will save some money, and have the satisfaction of knowing the job is done exactly as YOU want it.

Good luck,

John

The only real tricky part is properly flashing and shingling the roof. If you're not knowledgable in that area (or any other), simply find someone who is.
Good luck with it, have fun, and enjoy the pride of doing it yourself. You are the man!- Ken

I hired a sweep to install this stove. He came out and saw what was needed through the attic and roof and he measured, then told me he did not like the chimney pipe kit the dealer was trying to sell me and that he would order better quality and bring it. Then he went over and picked up my stove along with two others, stored it at his place until my turn came for install several weeks later, came all the way back over here with his helper and did a fantastic job in about four hours. So for all materials from the stove up, the pickup and delivery of stove and the install, he charged $1,400. I felt that was a very good price and I tipped him too, because back then gas was $4 and he had come quite a distance two different times.

My husband, who is living out of state working at this time, would have done it just as well, but he was not available like he was 20 some years ago when he built our brick chimney back home. Also, he's older and gets cramps now...lol.

I don't know if this is a consideration or not, but if a licensed professional does the install rather than the home owner, would that bode better in the event of an insurance claim or an insurance inspection to determine rates? I've wondered in what ways that would matter.

Annie, It sounds like you received an excellent deal financially and the service was second to none: move over, LLBean. However, I have the feeling your experience was the exception rather than the rule. I am happy it worked out as well as it did.

Regarding insurance and codes, these requirements seem to differ from state to state and perhaps within the various counties within the state. Where I live in central New York State one must obtain a building permit ($30.00) to install the stove. Upon completion, an inspector comes to the house to inspect the installation. If the installation meets all the code requirements I will be issued a "Certificate of Compliance" and give that to my insurance company.

I would add that, even if there were no requirements for building permits or insurance inspections, I would want a local fire marshall or other certificated person to inspect the installation for safety reasons. We can make mistakes and we can never be too careful.

Best Wishes,

John M

Thank you, John, that is very good advice. My husband checked it out when he was here during the summer and said it was top notch and done per manual specs, but he has no papers to give credence to his opinion, of course. He's a machinist, though, and can read specs. I think I will call the local volunteer fire company and ask how to get a look-see done this spring, after I have that same sweep come back and clean everything up after the first winter's use.

If I wanted to be ornery, I could call for the fire department now, and innocently let them take a look at the neighbor on the hill above us belching burning tires and used motor oil from his outdoor wood burner furnace. It is a wonder I'm still alive when that wind sends the fumes my way. I can't see their house from here, but I can jolly well smell it. Sheesh.

Double check with your insurance. Mine required the stove to be pro installed. My guess is that my company may be the exception, not the rule, but a quick call could save some headaches.

Jags said:
Double check with your insurance. Mine required the stove to be pro installed. My guess is that my company may be the exception, not the rule, but a quick call could save some headaches.

Mine also said that they required a professional install, building permits, and inspection by the building inspector.

However, once I had gone through all, saving all my paperwork, they never asked for any of it, and just asked me to fill out a form that asked simple questions about the clearances and if this was the main heat source or auxiliary, etc. Nothing asking who installed it or if it was inspected.

Heem said:
Jags said:

Mine also said that they required a professional install, building permits, and inspection by the building inspector.

However, once I had gone through all, saving all my paperwork, they never asked for any of it, and just asked me to fill out a form that asked simple questions about the clearances and if this was the main heat source or auxiliary, etc. Nothing asking who installed it or if it was inspected.

My agent personally came out and reviewed all paperwork, took a couple of pics and had a beer. No upcharge on my insurance.

Jags said:
No upcharge on my insurance.

I had a discount previously for "No Wood Stove" so that had to go away, but it was a trivial small amount.. like $20/yr or something

This past summer, I built my own hearth, and ran my own chimney. Do your homework here, plus visit the chimney manufacturer website for specific info. Crawl around your attic first to insure there won't be any surprises, make a good plan, then hold your breath and start cutting. Truthfully though, it was not a huge project. Spent a couple days on the chimney, and a few on the hearth.

Just finished installing a Hearthstone Equinox. Used existing chase from gas fireplace. The chimney pipe was slid up into the chase with a little help from my neighbor. Took a little patience, but in having done the install myself, I am more aware of the inner workings of my system. I have sought much advice from this forum, I may add. Like yesterday, my wife called about some liquid creosote that had leaked from the adapter near the chimney support. I got home and dropped the pipe to see what it looked like, took pictures and felt comfortable about continuing to burn last night. The hearth I built was brick paver on top of fiberboard and micore. It looks rustic and my wife is happy. I will add that this install was tied into the removal of a wall connecting my family room and sunroom. It took me 10 days to finish it up. My stove supplier delivered the stove for $150.00 and charged and extra $25.00 to set and line up stove on hearth so stove pipe lined up. I am glad I did it myself, I never got an estimate for install.

Attachments

• DSC03840.JPG
    DSC03840.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC03845.JPG
    DSC03845.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC03842.JPG
    DSC03842.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 369
jlow,

Dang! That looks nice, I love the open floor and the brick... Nice job!

I felt I could easily install my stove but thought I would sleep better if I had the dealer install it. The $500 for the install now sounds cheap. I guess it's what you feel comfortable with.

Take your time it is really not that difficult if you do your homework. I just finished installing mine about 3 weeks ago and have had no problems or suprises. I do need to post pics. Read all the information you can from here and manufacturer's websites and all will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.