DIY Project - My Deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_dude

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Southern WI
I was sharing pictures of my new fireplace installation on a different thread, and also had some pictures of the deck I just completed yesterday. I am typically not much of a DIY'er, so I am pretty proud of the way it turned out. No plans-- I designed it (with some help from a friend) and built it myself (again with some help from a few friends).

I used treated for the framing, and used cedar for the deck boards and face boards. Being this was my first real project in carpentry, I am pretty pleased with the result. All that is left is the staining, and installation of cedar log railing that I ordered. I hope this gives some hope to others that don't think they can handle a project like this on their own. If you take your time, it can turn out.

Check out the pictures and let me know what you think. The lower level ties into a covered porch that runs the length of the house.

Attachments

• Deck1.JPG
    Deck1.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 729
great job, looks great! Not too shabby of a house either!!!...congrats

Very nice indeed. I hope to add one off the back of my place next spring/summer.

Nice job. Its tough for those of us who aren't all that mechanically inclined to tackle a job like that, and to have it come out the way it did - pretty sweet. What's next?

J-Man said:
Nice job. Its tough for those of us who aren't all that mechanically inclined to tackle a job like that, and to have it come out the way it did - pretty sweet. What's next?

Next will be a garage/shed. I am also looking at building a wood shed. The storage shed must come first, as I can get by with tarps for a while on the wood. I probably won't start that project until next spring.

Are you putting a railing on it or leaving it open? It looks great!

Are you putting a railing on it or leaving it open? It looks great!

I got the deck stained this weekend. I will share more pics when it is dry. It looks nice - matches the house.

Yes, there will be railing. I ordered cedar log railing. I thought about trying to build the railing my self, but the bit to make the 'male' end of the tennon is $500 - $600. I thought, that is a lot of money for something I'm not sure I can do. I decided to leave that part for the pro's. I will share more pics once the railing is done.

Deck looks awesome.

Beanscoot said:
It looks great. One thing I would do though is extend the downspouts ten or twelve feet.

I am like you, I like to lead the water far away from the house. However, it looks like the land slopes tremendously away from the house. Extensions are probably not necessary here.

Nice shack! :coolsmile:

very nice looking deck. congrats!

VERY NICE! I too have built a deck. One thing I learned is the guys who do it for a living and charge a bunch of money, earn it!
This looks very professional. I would tend to agree with moving the downspouts further away. Another idea would be to run them under your deck and have them empty at the bottom. This would hide the drain tile and the water would naturally run away from the deck at that location.

I finally finished up the railing install last night. I will add some pictures soon. All that is left is staining the railing.

Picture with the railing. I need to stain the railing yet, then I will finally be done!

Attachments

• Deck2.jpg
    Deck2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 240
It looks real nice.
We had about 2/3 of our deck screened in last year.
We really like it 'cause you can sit out there in the rain plus no bugs.

And finally...it is done. I had to have the one section of railing replaced twice, as the first time it didn't fit, and the second time the spindles were too far apart. Luckily, the guys that did it were real good about replacing the section with no additional cost. I am very pleased, it's just too bad I didn't get it done in time to enjoy it much this year. There's always next summer!

Attachments

• Finaldeck1.jpg
    Finaldeck1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 213
Looks beautiful. If someone's doing it for money they're usually trying to beat the clock. Do it yourself and quality is your main objective. Nice job!

Status
Not open for further replies.