DIY Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyBravo

Dec 2, 2010
Chambersburg, PA
I just purchased an older wood stove fireplace insert. The top has a rectangle oval shape and I havent been able to find the exact part I want to use. My chimney liner is 6" flex.

My question is this: I want to use galvanized stainless steel flashing around the top to connect the stove to the chimney liner. I know it is not ideal, but is it acceptable, or will I putting out a fire in the near future? I planned to seal the top with screws and putty for high temperatures.

The blue straps in the pic are just holding the stove to a dolly.

Attachments

• top pic 1.jpg
    top pic 1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 393
Take careful dimensions or make a template, go to a metal shop and have them make a stainless adapter that has a 6" female end to accept your flex and the oval male end to slide inside of your insert. Use "L" brackets to secure the adapter to the insert. Spend the money and do it once right the first time. Also, try to find out how old that catalyst is and if it should be replaced prior to hooking everything up.

Skip the galvanized all together. When heated, the gases from it can be quite a problem - zinc poisoning I believe if you inhale enough of it.

A six inch liner may not be enough draft for an older unit like that - I would be reluctant to do all that work unless heating with wood is essential to staying warm and this is the best stove you can afford.

The stove is from 1995, so it isnt that old. But the catalyst was okay-ed by a guy who installed new stoves. The Manufacturer recommendation for the chimney was 6", it surprised me and the gentlemen at the retail store for new stoves.

I have oil heat now, but it is expensive and inefficient. I have an unlimited supply of hard wood currently and just recently purchased this used stove. I think I will find a local metal shop and see if i can get that piece made. I can not imagine it would cost too much...

any other advice is definitely appreciated.

Buddies of mine have a similar outlet, i believe theirs is a VC. they have a piece of stove pipe that takes that oval down to 6 inch. i actaully havent stared at it to see how it connects, but its factory made type piece.

Just had dinner at my wife's grandparent's house he has just got done installing a wood stove with the exact same opening. Will try to go back by there and take some pics and ask what he had done if I can't figure it out myself.

Welcome JB, my only input is to not expect to be able to have dry wood this year, unless you cut, split, and stacked last year. If not, you may want to hold off burning for a year, or go the route of pallets etc.

Good luck.

Contact Magnaflex he is a member here on hearth and also has a SS liner company. I believe he changed his name though, do a search for Magnaflex and you should be able to locate him. He an make you a oval to round liner. I know this because that is what he made for me. Just take good measurements and he can custom press the pipe. Good luck.

THEMAN said:
Contact Magnaflex he is a member here on hearth and also has a SS liner company. I believe he changed his name though, do a search for Magnaflex and you should be able to locate him. He an make you a oval to round liner. I know this because that is what he made for me. Just take good measurements and he can custom press the pipe. Good luck.

Did a quick search and found his new nickname is 'theheatelement' and this is his site http://www.magnaflex.us/ hope this helps

Thanks guys, I actually have tons of hard wood flooring to burn. Piles and piles of unfinished scrap, 10,000 square feet worth, I also have some locust we cut down 2 years ago. I once thought i could heat my home via the raw fireplace. As you can imagine that just made my home colder. I also have a wood pellet stove heating my basement, so the wood stove will be supplemental.

Yesterday I contacted a metal shop and he is getting back to me with a price. I am still looking for advice in the case that he wants to charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.