DIY roof brace kit for stainless pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Anyone DIY a brace for your stainless pipe above roof line? If so, can you share your plans? Or is buying retail a no brainer?

I've got one from excel. It's sitting here still because my roofer didn't listen to me. I requested ice and water shield run along the roof trusses as well as marking where they were so I could install my brace after. I don't want to screw thru sheathing only.

Stud finders have trouble sensing wood under shingles.

Anyone DIY a brace for your stainless pipe above roof line? If so, can you share your plans? Or is buying retail a no brainer?

I don't actually have the plans, but yeah, we fabricated a roof brace kit for our clubhouse for the local H.O.G. Chapter.
Took (2) 1/16 thin flat strips of steel 2" wide & bent them around the chimney with 2" long ears at each end.
Drilled 1/2" holes in the ears to allow for bolting the 2 pieces together.
Took (2) pieces of 1/2" threaded rod about 6 feet long & passed them throught the holes in the ears
with a nut & washer on each side, to secure them.
Took (2) pieces of 2x2x1/8" steel angle & drilled 1/2' holes thru one leg (vertical) & (2) 1/4" holes through the other leg (horizontal).
Ran the threaded rod thru the 1/2" holes, again with nuts & washers, & using deck screws, attached the angles to the roof.
Siliconed the crap out of the horizontal edges of the angles & the screw heads.
Bending of the threaded rods to position the angles correctly was required.

This is what I did. 1 3/8" Slotted steel bar with holes and eye bolt from HD. Had the existing cable. I gently bent the bar around something that was similar in size to the chimney. SS chimney are too soft to use it for bending. I bent the 90 deg with 2 pair of pliers. The inspector said I only needed 2 guy wires but I have 3 as I wanted to make sure it wouldn't move. BTW, this is 8" chimney.
8082.jpg
8083.jpg

This is what I did. 1 3/8" Slotted steel bar with holes and eye bolt from HD. Had the existing cable. I gently bent the bar around something that was similar in size to the chimney. SS chimney are too soft to use it for bending. I bent the 90 deg with 2 pair of pliers. The inspector said I only needed 2 guy wires but I have 3 as I wanted to make sure it wouldn't move. BTW, this is 8" chimney.
View attachment 161534 View attachment 161535
Nicely done. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.