DIY Spray Foam Didn't Loft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobC

Minister of Fire
Jul 28, 2009
Foxboro MA
I have 2 X 500 propane tanks stacked. I decided to get enough closed cell spray foam to put on about 1". Figured that would be OK for awhile and I could work out any system problems before really sealing them with a couple of inches. Had foam at 85F and tanks were also around 80 to 85F but when I sprayed the foam I only got about 1/4" depth of coverage. I'm going through the dealer to get to the rep but one of the local sales guys says that the heavy steel tank took the heat out of the foam before the foam had a chance to cook and loft. No-where can any body find a cautionary statement in the application instructions that addresses this. To the contrary one info sheet says how good it is for steel applications, bridge decks, fuel tanks, flotation etc. Go figure ? I'm writing in about this because none of this stuff is cheap. School is still out on what the problem is, or, was and what's going to be the final out come but I didn't want for some body else to get stuck. The little bit of foam that is on there is killer and where I did get 1" there is no heat to the touch.
The foam I used is a 2 part and cures at high temperature's.
For reference, in the pictures, the steel legs are 1.5" X 4" channel.

Little bump in the road.
Rob

Attachments

• Tape in middle btw frame legs.jpg
    Tape in middle btw frame legs.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 405
I don't buy the steel taking the heat out story. It sounds like you got a bad batch. I did read that the foam tanks need to be up to temp and you needed to be sure and use the mix one to one but it sounds like you did that. Hopefully they will make it right. There is different mixes for different things and there is a experation date also, check that out.
I just helped my neighbor foam his pipes in the trench. They did it for $600 a ft and as soon as it was sprayed it was foaming up. That sure is the way to go with pipes as you get more insulation value for your money than any other way I've seen.
leaddog

It could be that the exothermic reaction was quenched by the tank. I have used this material a lot. I suspect it was a combination of the temps and the spray foam.
Many times, we had to spray a thin layer to de-couple a cool surface from the foam and then cover the initial thin layer with the proper thickness.
The 1/4" looks good.
Hopefully you can get them to kick in another set and finish the project.
DIY sets can yield very inconsistent results compared to "professional" installations which are pumped evenly. The DIY sets put you at the mercy of the nitrogen blowing agent discharging both chemicals in an equal proportion. This does not happen as frequently as everyone would like.

What Tom said is the situation. One of the wholesalers said that's what needs to be done with the quick coat and then your finish. Would have been nice to put that on the label. If I had known I could had a choice to 1) not spray or 2) fill the tanks and bring them up to 180 /190 and then spray but knowing that I might not get max expansion.
This was fresh product the expiration is a year from now, and it did spray very nicely, evenly and completely. Not a drop left in either tank.
There is a direct flame issue, as well as with polyios board and I will have to some thing in the end to encapsulate area to keep direct flame off. Right now tanks are in my garage which is all fire code and there is no other open flame source, WB or OB in the same space.
Thank you for pointing that out.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.