DIY Washing Machine Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
We have a Maytag top loader that's getting on in years. Recently, during the agitation cycle, it would make a funny noise and the laundry room would fill with smoke. Figured it was the belts, so I changed those. Very easy to access without having to remove panels. Just need to tip the machine back. That worked for about six weeks, now we're back to the noise and smoke. Anything else I can look for that might be causing this problem without calling in appliance repair? Again, only happens during agitation. Could be that we're filling the machine too much causing too much friction for the thingy to go back and forth. I'm going to try a half load later to see if that works.

Is it a uniform load that you're washing or are you washing towels that make the load unbalanced?

What does it smell like? I would guess it would have to be either a belt or electrical? Is the new belt degraded at all?

I've fixed one washer and one dryer over the years, but now I think I'd just get on Craigslist and find one for $100 from someone who is moving or something.

Good Luck.

The new belt may have stretched a bit - check the tension on it.

I've had really good luck at repairclinic.com fwiw, fixed many a thing around the house using that site. Maybe try the repair help there? Just a thought.

The funny noise you mention is the key.... bearing or the transmission in that cycle is my guess the belt is the cause of the seizure ( Funny Noise). Have you notice a water leaking on the bottom of the tub?
md

The water pump may be frozen or have something inside seizing it up. This would make the drive belt slip/smoke.

Edit: We had this happen once. Some piece of hardware from a pants pocket jammed the pump.

Check the belt tension, they need to be good and tight to avoid slipping.
Also check the motor pulley, if it gets worn the belt won't grip the sides of the pulley.
I had to replace my motor pulley.

Thanks for the replies. The belts to me seem pretty loose. When I pull on the belt that moves the drum counter clockwise, it just slips and doesn't move the drum.

WES, you think maybe the tension on the pulleys need to be tighter. Any recommendation on how to achieve this?

My first thought was bearings too. If things are binding up, that would cause the belts to slip, wear, and smoke.

-SF

Usually the motor will pivot to allow for tightening the belt.

Bearings in the inner tub assembly will smoke.

It's draining, etc?

drewmo said:
Thanks for the replies. The belts to me seem pretty loose. When I pull on the belt that moves the drum counter clockwise, it just slips and doesn't move the drum.

WES, you think maybe the tension on the pulleys need to be tighter. Any recommendation on how to achieve this?

On mine the motor is attached by an adjustable slotted bracket, I put an adjustable wrench on the bracket to use as a lever to pull the belt tight.

Check the new belt, if was slipping it may have been damaged .

When replacing a belt it is a good idea to re-tighten after the first few cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.