DIY water well "advice needed"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabguy01

Sep 1, 2008
Ravenna Michigan
We are going to make an attempt at getting running water at the cabin over laborday weekend and I'm looking for some advice on wich way to go and for any pointers or tips. debating on weather to go with the pound in method or try to jet one in. thanks.

If you have any rocks you should try the jet in point. Be carefull with the water from a shallow well. Have the water tested before you drink it. Pont wells are usualy surface water and if somethine dies near the well you could be drinking it. I would sugjest a drilled well to be safe. Look in the phone book and call a local driller and ask questions.

If you jet one in, be darned sure you get your casing sealed in well afterwards. Bentonite makes about the best seal I've seen. Failure to seal means that every little runoff will run down the outside of your casing and contaminate your aquifier.

JSJAC said:
If you have any rocks you should try the jet in point. Be carefull with the water from a shallow well. Have the water tested before you drink it. Pont wells are usualy surface water and if somethine dies near the well you could be drinking it. I would sugjest a drilled well to be safe. Look in the phone book and call a local driller and ask questions.
Already got a quote, $3,500-$4,500 YIKES :bug: This is just a cabin

I have a coupe springs so i had a contractor come up and we designed a system to tap the spring. We got a 750 gallon cement tank and i had him dig down to the springs source which was about 12 feet down. We cut a hole in the tank attached some pvc pipe with holes in it place the tank in the ground where he dug down and covered everything up with sterile pea gravel with a discharge (overflow) pipe to keep the spring flowing. We then ran a water line from the tank (keeping it 2feet off the bottom of the tank) to the house andi use a shallow well 1/2hp pump with a holding tank, total cost was 850 bucks. That was 10+ years ago and it has never run dry ever and the water always tests great. The spring flows at a rate of 3.5 gallons a minute and is always at 51 degrees year round.

woodsman23 said:
I have a coupe springs so i had a contractor come up and we designed a system to tap the spring. We got a 750 gallon cement tank and i had him dig down to the springs source which was about 12 feet down. We cut a hole in the tank attached some pvc pipe with holes in it place the tank in the ground where he dug down and covered everything up with sterile pea gravel with a discharge (overflow) pipe to keep the spring flowing. We then ran a water line from the tank (keeping it 2feet off the bottom of the tank) to the house andi use a shallow well 1/2hp pump with a holding tank, total cost was 850 bucks. That was 10+ years ago and it has never run dry ever and the water always tests great. The spring flows at a rate of 3.5 gallons a minute and is always at 51 degrees year round.
We considered pumping water from the river but we were woried about what would happen if somone found out and told the epa or deq

LADYGO DIVA said:
collect rain via gutters into plastic barrel,drink beer as much as possible to preserve imported water & learn how to bleach the barrel.
wellpoints can be hand driven but when u hit a big rock :shut:
good idea although i dont think the wives would agree. ;-) BTW why do you change your name so often?

Stephen in SoKY said:
If you jet one in, be darned sure you get your casing sealed in well afterwards. Bentonite makes about the best seal I've seen. Failure to seal means that every little runoff will run down the outside of your casing and contaminate your aquifier.
do all wells get sealed like this?

fabguy01 said:
woodsman23 said:
We considered pumping water from the river but we were woried about what would happen if somone found out and told the epa or deq

I see people doing that all the time. Then they run it through a system to clean it up in the basement backroom and make it palatable and safe. Any water company ie: culligan man etc.. can sell you what's needed to clean it up or use it as is (but a filter is needed) for anything but drinking. If you have a river close then by all means tap that baby!!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.