DIY wood insert install and insurance WETT inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeaster1

Oct 10, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hi folks,

I have searched forum for DIY install info, and believe that mine would be fairly straight forward - more details below!

Was considering a professional install, but have been waiting for over a month for one store to do a site visit, while the 2nd local store is sold out of inserts!

My main concern with DIY is the fact that my insurance co, like most up here in Canada (Nova Scotia) want it to be done by a WETT certified installer, or to have the job certified by one, once complete. I have been on the WETT (Wood Energy Transfer Technology) site. I am not saying that having codes / standards for training / installations are bad...However, it seems that this WETT organization has created a need for itself, by making insurance companies demand that installs / technicians are certified.

Basically, I think they want to have a WETT certified person make sure it is up to code!! So you can get a WETT intstaller to do the install, or if you can find one after a DIY job, you have to pay something like $100 to have them inspect it!! There seems to be confusion, as i have read that the stove/ install cannot be certified anyway, it can only be installed, or inspected by someone who is certified. I hate red tape / gov't BullS$$t.

re: the install,
- The existing firebox is large enough to take an insert (considering the Napolean 1402, or the Koiak 1200 /1700, if the loacl store ever gets back to me!!)
- The existing external cinder block chimney is is good shape - just replaced the top 6' of cinder blocks / mortar, as it needed repair.
- the liner is clay, some hairline cracks, but all in tack! It is 12" x 12", so I shoudl be able to fit a liner easily. I can look right up and outside from inside the firebox - some sectiosn are offsets 1/4" or so, but it is clear all the way up.
- The damper would have to be cut out. The damper opening is 5", so I could easily cut away a couple inches of the metal damper casing / base.
- the new liner would be centered (left to right) over the insert, but would have to offest to ward the front about a foot, to pass through the damper slot, and line up with the stove outlet.

One concern I have is that the chimney length - I would only have about 15' of liner / chimney above the insert, as it is only a 1 storey chimney!

I am also unclear about the insulation of flex or rigid liners - are most liner kits already insulated, or if not what are the most common ways of insulating them? ie wrapping material around them, before installing, or pouring insulation material down the chimney, once installed (and dmaper area sealed off), etc.

I would appreciate any advice on the install, as well as some insight into this WETT certified / inspection business, if some other Canadians have dealt with it.. (I don't think you have this red tape in the states)

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Northeaster1,

I needed a city permit for my installation (stove) & the city inspector was WETT cert. The permit was $100.00. The installer was also WETT cert. btw. It is a piece of mind to have the job inspected by WETT...my opinion...

Daibel - thanks for the reply! I hadn't even thought about needing a city permit, as their is no large external modificatiosn to house, etc.

I do agree with the piece of mind of having someone qualified to inspect the work. I guess that the WETT person is really just making sure that the job is up to existing codes.. However, what did we do before WETT, in order to see if the job was up to code?

If anyone could comment / give advice on the chimney length of approx 15 feet, normal methods for insulating the liner. etc, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.