Do all 3" outlet pipes on pellet stoves actually measure 3-1/2" ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
I assume this has something to do with special fitting . Will a standard 3"-4" adapter collar fit on there ( running 4" pipe I think) ?

Are you measuring the outer diameter on a double wall pipe? If so, yes. The diameter noted is for the inner diameter.

Are you measuring the outer diameter on a double wall pipe? If so, yes. The diameter noted is for the inner diameter.
I'm measuring the outlet on the stove itself.

I thought all the harmans came with a 4 inch discharge...maybe someone with a harman 61 will chime in.

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P61A.pdf

refer to page 8
Page 8 has a note at the top: Notice 3" or 4" Pellet Stove Vent Must Be used. Such as Type PL. Measuring it again with a ruler this time instead of my wife's sewing tape, it measures actually about 3-3/8" outside diameter.

Last edited:
Duravent has a special fitting for that stove. Others will sort of fit but it is the only thing that will fit it perfect. I did a review of it last year or so.

Duravent has a special fitting for that stove. Others will sort of fit but it is the only thing that will fit it perfect. I did a review of it last year or so.
Ah thanks, I had a feeling it was something like this ! I bet the dealer stocks the right piece anyway. Now I assume this piece once installed on the stove takes normal venting pipe?

Incidentally I'm just going 3-1/2 to maybe 4 ft straight out the wall. Going out the back of my fireplace.

Typically, different brands of vent pipe are not compatible with eachother.
I believe if you start with a duravent piece, you must continue with duravent products.

Brewer I believe you are correct.

alternativeheat- It was a stocking item at a stove shop near me but im in the heart of Harman country. As well as it works you should be able to turn it up somewhere.

Ah thanks, I had a feeling it was something like this ! I bet the dealer stocks the right piece anyway. Now I assume this piece once installed on the stove takes normal venting pipe?

Incidentally I'm just going 3-1/2 to maybe 4 ft straight out the wall. Going out the back of my fireplace.

What are you referring to as normal venting pipe? Pellet stoves take special venting pipe and pipe for say a wood stove will not work.

What are you referring to as normal venting pipe? Pellet stoves take special venting pipe and pipe for say a wood stove will not work.
Even/ normal sizing, standard size pipe once past this piece in other words. Yes pellet stove pipe, I am aware of that, I didn't expect a 3-3/8 outlet pipe on this stove though.

It appears though, that others have installed P61 stoves with just pellet stove pipe, no adapting. Doing so with extra sealer and or high temp tape to complete the seal.

Doesn't the "appliance adapter" compensate for the slightly oversized outlet?

Doesn't the "appliance adapter" compensate for the slightly oversized outlet?
I don't know. I'll go to the dealer Fri and see what he has for this hook up. I should have just bought it yesterday when I picked the stove up. The regular guy wasn't in so I skipped it for right then. Its just a 7 mile drive back there though. It just leaves these questions in my mind meanwhile.

Even/ normal sizing, standard size pipe once past this piece in other words. Yes pellet stove pipe, I am aware of that, I didn't expect a 3-3/8 outlet pipe on this stove though.

It appears though, that others have installed P61 stoves with just pellet stove pipe, no adapting. Doing so with extra sealer and or high temp tape to complete the seal.
Interesting. One, why didn't your dealer tell you you needed an adapter, and two, why would Harman make a nonstandard exhaust size, and three, shouldn't you always go up in size to prevent airflow constriction points? I know the difference is small, but still the nonstandard exhaust size strikes me as poorly thought out design.

Interesting. One, why didn't your dealer tell you you needed an adapter, and two, why would Harman make a nonstandard exhaust size, and three, shouldn't you always go up in size to prevent airflow constriction points? I know the difference is small, but still the nonstandard exhaust size strikes me as poorly thought out design.
Caught me off guard, I never thought it might be odd. I i ntend to go 4" though fwiw. The manual is vague too, it doesn't mention any adapter that I have found in there as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.