Do any Harman users "clean " your dusty pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
My insert will burn anything I put in her. dust, dirt, dog food, bird seed, etc. I read about pellet vacs and the like and wonder if I am missing something?

I don't but this is my first season burning. Part of the maintenance is to pop the feed motor door to vacuum the fines.

I've started to sift the fines from the bag in an attempt to reduce the dust created from pouring the bag of pellets into the hopper. Trying a brand of pellets for the 1st time and one of my kids alergies have kicked in at the same time. Not sure if its related to the pellet dust but it doesn't hurt to reduce it.

Ogilvy said:
I've started to sift the fines from the bag in an attempt to reduce the dust created from pouring the bag of pellets into the hopper. Trying a brand of pellets for the 1st time and one of my kids alergies have kicked in at the same time. Not sure if its related to the pellet dust but it doesn't hurt to reduce it.

I am thinking of sifting my pellets to also reduce the amount of dust created in my living room. I am thinking I could use the fines collected to make firestarters for my wood stove or camp fires maybe?

I Never "clean" my pellets. Even if there is a small amount of fines, the augr will not jam because of the horizontal feed system in the Harman.
Clean my pellets? Never.

This is also my first season and I do not clean the pellets, they are stored in the basement which is were I open the bag and pour into a pail so dust is not an issue.

First year burning but I do not clean my pellets. I too open bag in basement and dump half a bag in coal pail. You will see some dust when you dump them into the hopper though but I quickly close the lid. I have not noticed much more dust in the living room, yet (or the wife hasn't). Any fines I have in my hopper I just push down into the auger. Have not had any issues yet. I figure it is all BTU's.

Do I clean my dusty pellets???.....Ha ha ha ha ha .....Hell man, I don't even clean my house! Sheeeeee-iiiiiittt!

I only clean my stove once a month, I'll be damned if I'm going to clean pellets.

Dump 'em in and forget about it.

I have no idea if I have a lot of fines or what is normal, as this is my first year. BUT . . . to be safe I have not been putting the last inch or so from each bag into the hopper, as the fines are heaviest there. I collect them all until I can fashion some kind of filter/sifter or decide its not worth the effort.

I have seen some good designs for a filtering device and will probably build one soon. In the meantime, fewer fines in the hopper seems like a good idea on GPs.

Haven't "cleaned" my pellets in 16 years and I don't intend to start now. There are plenty of good pellets out there that are reasonably priced and have very little dust and fines.

I'm over the ton through the stove this season and I haven't even emptied the hooper to vacuum out whatever might be in it for fines. Plenty of low fine pellets out there.

Besides it is more fun burning them that way, it drives the neatnicks crazy. Now where did I put my pellet washer .......

I've named my pellet stove(Nellie Belle),I talk to N.B.,I lift the lid up and adjust her little pellets,I listen for strange noises,I smell for strange odor.I'II throw it out in the yard before I'II sift the dust out...I use Henry County Pellets and they have 0 dust...

I don't sift anything. I barely have time to clean the pellet stove. I wouldn't buy a stove that was "picky" about that kinda thing, I just don't have the extra time.

johnnycomelately said:
Do I clean my dusty pellets???.....Ha ha ha ha ha .....Hell man, I don't even clean my house! Sheeeeee-iiiiiittt!

LMAO.

No pellet cleaning for me, and BossWoman cleans the house. She hasnt complained about the dust from the pellets..... yet

Yes I do. PA Pellets I'm using now are dusty and alot of fines. I built a system with 3"PVC and a shop vac. Only takes a few minutes to do a bag.

I don't clean them, I let the P43 do it. Then I vacuum out the fines once or twice a year.

I pushed about a ton & 1/2 through the P38 last season. At season's end I removed about a half of a shot-glass of fines.

This is my fourth season with pellets. I haven't, nor will I be sifting pellets. This year I bought MWP's and they are dust and fines free.

Tom C.

Aint sifting a god damn thing.

Harman ain't no cheap ass stove.

It will burn straight Weed if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.