do any of you use this thermometer (update)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this at Home Depot today. I was wondering the same thing myself. Which is why I left it on the shelf. When it comes to pellet stoves, mine is cool to the touch every where except for the glass. It appears it measures temperature through contact. Since it is magnetic, it won't attach any where to the stove which is actually hot.

chrisasst said:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-improvement/heating/wood-coal-heaters-accessories/wood-coal-heating-accessories/rutland-reg-stove-thermometer-3198420

where is the best place to attach this...on the door?

I have one. I attach it to the front in front of the blower tubes.

You'll never know how hot the stove gets without a separate gauge and sensor, so with a thermometer all you can do is measure the temperature relative to other factors, like settings or pellet brands.This is what most of us do, so just find the hottest spot that's easy to see, and leave it there. Any stove thermometer will work.

thias what i have, and i attach to the front of the stove. gives a good idea of how hot the stove is to the touch.

just wondering though...what type of thermo would i use to get a true reading for room air heat, or exhaust heat?

mike

so I went and bought one of these. I put it on my stove right next to the blow tubes and a little above the door. I have a kozi stove, I have the heat setting on 4 (out of 5 settings)...see pic for results. I also have a meat thermometer in the tubes that read 180 at the same time, so not sure what is going on... (these are 2 separate pictures)

101_1472.gif

101_1475.gif

I also have one of these that is left over from my wood stove days. I had it attached to the stack of the wood stove and I would get a reading of between 400-500 deg. for a normal fire. With the pellet stove I get much lower readings 100 to 300. I put It next to the room air outlet and get 300 deg. on hi fire after start-up and will cool down to 120 on normal (maintained burn) This type of thermo is made for a wood of coal stove

New Hampshire Jim said:
I also have one of these that is left over from my wood stove days. I had it attached to the stack of the wood stove and I would get a reading of between 400-500 deg. for a normal fire. With the pellet stove I get much lower readings 100 to 300. I put It next to the room air outlet and get 300 deg. on hi fire after start-up and will cool down to 120 on normal (maintained burn) This type of thermo is made for a wood of coal stove

I would have to agree with Jim. These are really made for wood stoves and I am not really sure why I even have one on my pellet stove other than looks. My thermometer constantly reads 300 degrees on the lowest setting.

I have one on the front of my Harman P61 and when im running it reads 350-400.......This Harman will run us out of the house

I so wish I would have found this forum before I bought my crappy stove....

chrisasst said:
I so wish I would have found this forum before I bought my crappy stove....

chrisasst, Please explain why you think your stove is crappy? Is it really that bad?

You could sell it on craigs list and purchase something else. I had stove issue last year and I got tired of it and made it go away. Did my research and found an awesome stove. If your really are that tired of it. There are a lot of buyers out there just waiting to purchase used stoves. If you can't afford a new one there are others selling there used stoves too. We will help you pick the right one.

jay

Well it is hard to explain because no one has the same stove as I do. I guess my major problem is I can't get good heat out of it. I finally found lignetics towards the end of last season which where the hostest pellets. However even on my highest heat setting, the heat out of the blow tubes was only 240 tops. However the heat inside the stove is so hot it warped the burn pot and a little spot by the door. I couldn't get any help from my dealer to help me out as to why I am not getting heat.
This summer I gave the stove a decent cleaning. However I don't dare to try and take off the blower fan because if something happens I have no other heat source. So I vacuumed out the fan blades the best I could. (tight fit in there)
Overall I am just not happy especially after I hear all you other folks say how hot your stove is. I can't get heat upstairs even with the vents I have in my ceiling and I should be able to. I know my house is not insulated but when I can't get heat out of the stove it really doesn't matter,,

This is the Best and most accurate thermometer i have encountered for getting a true reading,check out Napa auto parts or Carquest they run around $40 but well worth it, i even run around the house measuring the temp of the cat/dog/wife.Whatever i can get to hold still for 5 seconds, very interesting little device.Also great for pointing at your car radiator to see if its got Blockage in it,causing bad circulation.Also point at exterior house wall if your trying to find the nest of Bee's in your Wall(Yikes) its very sensitive, well worth the Money..

Attachments

• tn_dig therm.jpg
    tn_dig therm.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 317
  • tn_Dig therm..jpg
    tn_Dig therm..jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 311
gutterboy2ca said:
This is the Best and most accurate thermometer i have encountered for getting a true reading,check out Napa auto parts or Carquest they run around $40 but well worth it, i even run around the house measuring the temp of the cat/dog/wife.Whatever i can get to hold still for 5 seconds, very interesting little device.Also great for pointing at your car radiator to see if its got Blockage in it,causing bad circulation.Also point at exterior house wall if your trying to find the nest of Bee's in your Wall(Yikes) its very sensitive, well worth the Money..

Looks pretty cool, but if it's that sensitive, it sure wouldn't live here with me for very long. Only thermometer I've got is the one that sez it's too damn cold to go outside without puttin' on pants.

chrisasst said:
Well it is hard to explain because no one has the same stove as I do. I guess my major problem is I can't get good heat out of it. I finally found lignetics towards the end of last season which where the hostest pellets. However even on my highest heat setting, the heat out of the blow tubes was only 240 tops. However the heat inside the stove is so hot it warped the burn pot and a little spot by the door. I couldn't get any help from my dealer to help me out as to why I am not getting heat.
This summer I gave the stove a decent cleaning. However I don't dare to try and take off the blower fan because if something happens I have no other heat source. So I vacuumed out the fan blades the best I could. (tight fit in there)
Overall I am just not happy especially after I hear all you other folks say how hot your stove is. I can't get heat upstairs even with the vents I have in my ceiling and I should be able to. I know my house is not insulated but when I can't get heat out of the stove it really doesn't matter,,

Ahh, You just found out that all stoves are not created equal. Yeah, I was totally depressed when my last stove was a dog. But that was what sent me over the edge. As soon as the income tax check cleared the bank I was on the phone. It was the best move for me and the whole family. We are all warm(except when we try crappy pellets that don't throw heat).

I am not familiar with the Kozy stoves. What are the BTU ratings for it? Maybe its just to small? How many sqft are you trying to heat? There is lots of questions.

If you decide to upgrade, You want an upper level stove if you want great heat. They put there money into the heat exchangers for extracting the most BTU's out of the stoves. Look at the Multifuels units if you can afford them. Easier on the pellet pocket book. Not picky about pellets either.

I have as you know an Omega. This puppy cranks out the heat and is pellet stingy. It will easily heat 2500 sqft. I have yet to put this stove above the medium setting with good pellets. Stop at an Enviro dealer and check one out. Stop and see some Harmons too. Best to shop around for the best deal.

If you do start looking at stoves, Don't skimp on the BTU rating. If you figure 45,000 is enough. Go BIGGER. Your stove will last longer on medium than being pegged on high all winter. Plus you have leg room for those extra cold days.

Try to stay warm
Jay

I have a 1900 sq ft house ( not all living space) I asked and asked my dealer if it would heat my space and of course the answer was yes....Also this stove at the time was in budget range. Also at the time was basically the only stove place I knew of..I looked at zoobler but was uncomfortable ordering online...
here is my stoves data..

Heating Area 1,800 sq.ft.
Max. Heat Output 40,000 btu.
Min. Heat Output 10,000 btu. Zero with optional thermostat
Automatic Ignition Yes
Manual Ignition If needed
Hopper Capacity 120 lbs. Hopper extensions to 200 and 280 lbs.
Burn time 100 hrs.: 170 and 230 hrs. with extensions.
Fuel Type Premium grade wood pellets. See comments below
Glass Air Wash DX model (large window) only
Built in Blower Yes
Convection Blower Capacity Undisclosed
Thermostat Compatible Yes, optional
E.P.A. Approved Yes
Emissions 1.83 gr./hr.
Efficiency 86%
Dimensions
Height 31 in.: 39 in. for 200 lb ext.: 47 in. for 280 lb extension
Width 25 in.
Depth 25 in.
Weight Undisclosed
Window Size Small 4 in. by 4 in. Large (DX) 12 in. by 6 in.
Flue Vent Size 3 in.
Top Vent No
Rear Vent Yes
Rear Vent Height 10 in.
Battery Backup No See Stove Sentry
Surge Protector Recommended
Colours Black
Exhaust Temperature Sensor Yes
Low Draft Shutdown Yes
Construction Type Fabricated steel
Automatic Shutdown and Re-ignition Yes, with optional thermostat

Comments
Unusually, the fan motors on this stove have oiling points and this is part of the regular maintenance schedule.
This stove is sensitive to pellet quality and can not handle pellets with a high ash content.
The air draft for combustion must be adjusted manually.
The auger motor, burn pot and igniter are not covered by the warranty.
Maintenance
Weekly
Clean the heat exchanger tubes, lift top heat shield and dump ashes into burn chamber, remove and clean the burn pot, empty the ash. Clean the glass and inspect the condition of the door gasket.

Yearly
Clean the venting system, clean behind the rear heat shield and the exhaust passages in the stove. Clean the combustion fan and housing. Oil the circulation fan motor.

IMO, 40,000 BYU's is on the small side for 1900 sqft. You would need at least 50,000 or more to be comfy. Does it keep the room that its in warm?

You ultimate would be the pellet furnace in the basement. Duct the heat where you need it. Keep the chill out of the basement at the same time.

I was in your shoes once, So I feel your pain. Do your best to keep warm.
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.