Do any wood pellet manufacturers make a solid or semi birch wood pellet??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glosta

Nov 1, 2009
North of Boston
When it comes to wood pellets, I've never really heard anything (good or bad) about birch wood.

I just remember back in my boy scout days, birch wood always made a great camp fire.

I hear a lot about pine, spruce, oak, etc....but not much is mentioned about birch wood pellets. Just curious.

I haven't seen a solid birch pellet. But the semi could be any hardwood brand. I don't think any brand breaks down what hardwoods are actually in there pellets. That probably would change from batch to batch anyway! It all depends on what they have coming in or laying around. Specific species pellets(as far as hardwoods) are found in food grade pellets and the 100% Oak pellets that the hardwood flooring companies have as a by product. The rest just say hardwood and that could be any hardwood species. Oak is singled out because its probably the highest BTU producer of the hardwoods. Just like the Douglas fir of the softwoods.

I look more for the highest density pellet. That's were you see the higher BTU outputs from. And the moisture content has an effect on the BTU output as well. There is lots of variables in pellets, But that's a whole different story.

Birch is great in camp fires because the paper bark starts easy and burns hot. Good pellet will not have bark in it regardless of species of wood.

Any fiber source that comes from a quality cabinet maker or plywood manufacturer may have some birch in the mix... but I've never seen a birch pellet.

I read about a new pellet maker in ME that is part of the largest golf tee maker in the world (also in ME) they use only birch for tee's so they would be a birch only pellet I thought, after digging on the net and I found out they are only selling in bulk to some prisons and gov. buildings, I couldn't find any plans or info to sell bagged to the public, too bad, I really wanted to try them!
a quick search turned up this
http://www.maineco.org/Burnham BDN.php
http://www.iwoodfuels.com/news.php

Status
Not open for further replies.