do bigger stoves need more draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Hello again all. Just installed a englander 30 inplace of a VC resolute. I'm not getting enough draft now for this stove, the other was fine. Should I get a smaller stove or buy a draft inducer? Running the 30 wide open the fire dies down with the door shut and has about 350-400 degrees surface temp, got creosote build up in just 3 weeks. Yes wood is dry

Is a draft inducer the same as an outside air kit?

fishinpa said:
Is a draft inducer the same as an outside air kit?

No it is basically a fan that goes in your flue made to create draft its called a ad-1 I think.

Greybeard said:
I'm not getting enough draft now for this stove, the other was fine. Should I get a smaller stove or buy a draft inducer?
Does your stack comply with what is stated in the manual (height, diameter, etc.)? Have you added any 90º bends to the run for this new stove? Is it a stainless or masonry chimney.

I hate to say it, but if you have creosote in 3 weeks, your wood is probably not fully seasoned. It would be difficult to imagine that happening with dry wood.

As for draft, imagine a fire in an outdoor fire pit. Do you imagine that a huge fire that you have to stand way back would take more oxygen than a small fire where you can stand close?

A bigger stove may require more combustion air, but that is not the same as draft requirements. It does sound like a wood issue from what's been posted.

Can you describe the flue on the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.