Do CL 'wanted' ads work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_E

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
SW VT
I was thinking of posting a 'wanted' ad in craigslist, since it's free, to see if I can get any scrounge wood out of it. Was wondering if anyone else out there has done the same thing with decent results.

I don't care if I get a few rounds or a winter's worth, free is free. I'm also not picky. I'll take pretty much anything that can be cut into firewood.

Did you ever look at the wanted ads?

Reactions: JP11
Worked for me over the winter...albeit one time. I put a want ad on requesting lumber scraps and any free firewood. One guy responded, hooked me up with a bunch of lumber scraps and some maple rounds that were bone dry inside.

Then I also went back and cleaned up a big white oak limb that fell off his neighbors tree.

No one else responded to my ad.

I can think of one sure way to find out...

I see in our area free wood and pallets very frequently on CL free section. Get a lot of people thinking that if they give you a tree that you should cut it down too. Problem is why its on CL as a pro has to pay the bucks and cover any problem if the tree goes somewhere it shouldn't. If its on the ground I have no problem. Been one ad up for 6 months and its a 60 ft tree that's dead and shedding and 20 feet from the house. Local pro quote was $1200 to drop

Here's what you do....get on Facebook....Like all the garage sale sites in your area and post an ad saying you will clean up any downed trees for free. Worked for me! My lady posted a ad for me and Boom!! Got 3 loads of honey locust, 2 loads of ash, and 3 loads of some soft maple! Got 4 different people responding in less than 2 hours. Had to have her take my post down cause I only had so much time to get it all. Tried Craigslist and got nothing.

Here's the Honey locust I scored off Facebook

Attachments

• P_20141214_100714.jpg
    P_20141214_100714.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: Bigsby and webfish
I tried once and got nothing. I've had the best luck just stopping at people's houses when I see down trees on their property and asking if I can take it.

I have stopped looking at the CL free ads- around here it is more of a clean up my property so I don't have to pay someone or I'm too cheap to hire a pro service to drop that yard tree- and of course the usual must be insured yadda yadda stuff. Got a call yesterday about cleaning up and reseeding a piece of property - was a church on it that has been removed won't go into details- but I declined- one reason is that this company takes a minimum of 45 days ( working not straight count ) to pay. Second is I am not into landscaping. I have the contacts to get it done but it isn't worth the aggravation nor the 3 month delay in payment.
Note: they always pay its just that time delay that I object to.

Here's what you do....get on Facebook....Like all the garage sale sites in your area and post an ad saying you will clean up any downed trees for free. Worked for me! My lady posted a ad for me and Boom!! Got 3 loads of honey locust, 2 loads of ash, and 3 loads of some soft maple! Got 4 different people responding in less than 2 hours. Had to have her take my post down cause I only had so much time to get it all. Tried Craigslist and got nothing.

Here's the Honey locust I scored off Facebook

Never thought about Facebook. I guess I could try that.

I'm not interested in being someone's free tree service. If they have a fallen tree or stuff laying around - cleanup essentially, I'll be happy to take it.

Yes, I have seen the wanted ads on CL. Usually someone wanting something expensive for nothing.

Put in your ad that you don't pull brush or they will nickel and dime you! I did drop that locust for free cause the guy said to just leave the branches where they lay. I never thought about Facebook either until my lady brought it up. It works....just copy and paste your ad on all the sites. Let me know how it works out for ya! Probably be a lot of clean up with spring finally here.

I'm in the minority but they've worked great for me. I've targeted my ads to tree services noting that I'll take logs at my business to avoid disposal fees. I also note that Pine is fine. Not every ad gets a response but I have yet to catch up to the pile behind my building. Scores include mixed BW, Maple and Beech, a load of Poplar logs, a load of Pine rounds, a load of Ash logs and a load of HUGE Oak rounds. I'll also make an occasional call to area tree services. Most like to sell their firewood but I found one whose yard was full. He couldn't come over fast enough with his dump body full of Ash logs. Saved him dumping charges, time and fuel because I was close. PS: I now plan on trying facebook. Hadn't thought of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.