Do draft inducer's work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
laynes69 said:
I always had problems with downdrafts in the summer and when the furnace would go out in the wintertime. We had a a 7x11 masonry chimney that was 32' tall. One of the problems was the stack effect, which I had done alot of airsealing in the attic and basement. Even then the basement would stink and when I would remove the flue pipe it felt like a fan in the chimney blowing air into the basement. This summer I installed a 5.5" rigid chimney liner. I now have draft no matter what. I haven't had the chimney reverse one time and I have better response from the furnace. Night and day difference.

Thanks to everyone on here for their input. I think after lots of reading and resaeach seems like the best thing will be to reline the chimney. I know I also had problems once in while getting a good draft, I would have to run the bottom draft door on the stove wide open just to maintain a good fire. Instead of spending around 250.00 dollars on the draft inducer and new chimney cap I think putting that towards a liner for around 430.00 and insualtion for around 200.00 might be better. At least then it is done and should be good for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.