Do either of these chainsaws seem like a decent deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zknowlto

Aug 1, 2009
Lansing, MI
I recently acquired a wood insert and, after buying my first batch of wood, been on the lookout for free wood on CL. All the wood of gotten so far has been already cut and, at least partially bucked. However, I now have a number of pieces that are going to be bucked further. Additionally, I've already have had to pass on a couple potential scores as the rounds were bucked way to large for me to use. Obviously, I need a chainsaw. Specifically, one that:

1) Is gas powered

2) Sufficient for bucking the occasional log, but not necessarily for felling

3) Cheap (trying to keep it under $100, way under if possible)

Do either of these seem like a decent deal? Any other advice for a first chainsaw purchase?

Crafstman Chainsaw

Mac 15 Chainsaw

the mac is more of a collector saw and the sears is a top handle saw use for very small stuff

I would keep looking or expand your price range. Both of those are older and don't appear to have chain brakes, if you're a first time user I would suggest something more modern with some safety features. 200 bucks and you should be able to do pretty good.

How big are the rounds you're needing to trim?

Both of the OP saws are going to either hurt you badly or give you significant reliability problems...take your pick.

Not the most popular choice, but for the money you cna prpbnably get a decent, new Craftsman 16"or 18" saw at Sears on the returns shelf. I bought my 18" 42cc saw there for $90 about 14 years ago and it refuses to die...or even require expensive maintenance.

I would keep looking . . . the Craftsman is a bit small . . . and the other is nearly an antique.

Hard to tell - the Craftsman doesn't list any make / model / size. I had a little craftsman for several years and cut cords of wood with it. Thing ran fine until the day it died, it was slow, underpowered but got the job done - along with stinging / numb hands from the vibration, tired muscles from hours of nursing it through the logs and slippery / small handles. I upgraded to a Husky and it was a world of difference.

If you intend to do only a few logs like you say, the craftsman (assuming it was made in the past 20 years) would probably bet the better deal. If you plan to do any serious cutting at all, it is hard to 'afford' a cheap saw. A couple cords of 'free' wood can cover the cost of a nice saw and everything after that is butter!

Well, not the answers I was hoping for, but thanks all the same. This is frustrating as I really just need it to trim 20 - 30 rounds (all around 12" diameter or less) so I can split them. I just can't justify spending $200+ dollars on a nice chainsaw just for this. I think I'll check into the Craftsman saws and see if there's one closer to my price point. Thanks again for the advice.

those saws would work for that task this year, but I wouldn't count on them much after that. It's hit and miss, really, they could last you a while. BUT, know that if you use either of them for that task, then they will either be in good used condition and worth half of what you paid, so 80 or 55. Also know that they won't fair well if left to sit unused in your garage, so you might consider selling them. If you spend 200 on a used saw as suggested elsewhere on this forum, then I bet you could sell it in November for the same price you paid. If you use a cheap saw right away at least it's still under manufacturers warranty.

I don't know. you might find that you need this saw more than you expect. I'm not one to recommend buying a high $ item. I've always made do with cheap stuff for the most part even if it was more work (I had more time and patience than money), but my life changed when I got a nice saw. not joking.

Here ya go. I ran the 35cc version of this saw with a 16" bar for several years with no issues. This one's a 38cc.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

They do still make the 35cc one for only $109.00 but it only has the 14" bar on it. You'll end up having to get the 16" bar anyway and end up paying the same for a less powerfull saw.

I still use my Homelite from time to time for the smaller stuff but I primarily use a Stihl now.

BTW: Take the safety tip off of it if you're comfortable with that.

you could always rent one for the day from the local hardware/ box store. probably about 30 bucks. but if you plan on doing that for the next couple of years you might as well just buy one and be done with it.

Go Blue! said:
Well, not the answers I was hoping for, but thanks all the same. This is frustrating as I really just need it to trim 20 - 30 rounds (all around 12" diameter or less) so I can split them. I just can't justify spending $200+ dollars on a nice chainsaw just for this. I think I'll check into the Craftsman saws and see if there's one closer to my price point. Thanks again for the advice.

If you were on my side of town(oakland county) I'd come over and cut them for you.

The homelites I posted are just over 100 bucks and will cut 12" diameter stuff all day long. I have a 42 cc craftsman(poulan) with an 18" bar that I use on smaller stuff and cutting limbs, my dad also has one and he's cut many cords of wood with it. I had to order some chains just recently so I ordered 2 Oregon 91VX chains for the craftsman saws and they turned the saws into really nice cutting saws. I've always used full chisel and semi chisel chains on the stihl but I didn't know the difference I would see having a good chain on the craftsman saw. Best 12 bucks I've spent in a long time. :lol:

Go Blue! said:

Yes - if that is all you ever plan to do, grab that $30 craftsman and a $2 file so you can at least make sure the chain is sharp, cut the wood, then put it back on CL. No harm in using a cheap saw. I think we all just wanted to point out that there is some 'investment' potential as well. If you plan to do a couple cords a year (or get bit by the 'fire bug' and start felling your own trees) Paying $100 for a saw which is slow, makes you tired/numb and therefore unsafe working isn't a great investment. But for 20 rounds, you could certainly get by.

I just recently upgraded from a cheap Poulan saw. Go to Walmart or home depot and look out for specials. The wild thing is a decent saw, 42cc 18" bar. I loved it when I used it. It is terribly underpowered and came with crappy chain. I replaced it with good chain and it made quite a difference. I am youngish and still in very good shape but am arthritis, carpal tunnel or a combination in my wrists and hands. My hands still hurt just thinking about that saw. I cut some 24" Oak logs, about 5 cords worth and it got the job done. A couple things though, it took forever. I didn't realize it was forever until I got my Jonsored 2255. Even though that isn't a pro saw monster or anything close, it is a world of difference. I'm still glad I bought my cheapie saw though. I learned from my mistakes with a lot more forgiveness from that little saw. My recomendation is that if you are going to be cutting a cord or two each year, take a ride over to one of the box stores or walmart and get a Poulan or homelite. One thing to note, the box store versions are cheaper for a reason. My Poulan still starts right up in two or three pulls every time. I bought it at Home Depot for $100 the day after thanksgiving, two years ago.

ps. Craftsman is usually a Poulan anyway.

CTburning said:
I just recently upgraded from a cheap Poulan saw. Go to Walmart or home depot and look out for specials. The wild thing is a decent saw, 42cc 18" bar. I loved it when I used it. It is terribly underpowered and came with crappy chain. I replaced it with good chain and it made quite a difference. I am youngish and still in very good shape but am arthritis, carpal tunnel or a combination in my wrists and hands. My hands still hurt just thinking about that saw. I cut some 24" Oak logs, about 5 cords worth and it got the job done. A couple things though, it took forever. I didn't realize it was forever until I got my Jonsored 2255. Even though that isn't a pro saw monster or anything close, it is a world of difference. I'm still glad I bought my cheapie saw though. I learned from my mistakes with a lot more forgiveness from that little saw. My recomendation is that if you are going to be cutting a cord or two each year, take a ride over to one of the box stores or walmart and get a Poulan or homelite. One thing to note, the box store versions are cheaper for a reason. My Poulan still starts right up in two or three pulls every time. I bought it at Home Depot for $100 the day after thanksgiving, two years ago.

ps. Craftsman is usually a Poulan anyway.

Good advice CT

You might also check Harbor Freight and similar places, they will often have "Factory Reconditioned" saws at significantly less than new prices... That's how I got my Pull-on, which for what I bought it for was a reasonably decent saw. It didn't really show it's limitations until I started getting into cutting some serious wood.

Gooserider

Go Blue! said:

How much did you spend on your first "batch" of wood? A good saw that keeps you from having to purchase firewood is a very good investment if you plan to keep heating with wood

You mentioned that you are looking for free wood on CL. Not having a saw will rule out a lot of scrounges, which might mean buying wood in lieu of free wood. It would be easy to spend more on wood than you will on a saw, but that's definitely an option. If you're really only needing it for the rounds you have, why are you buying a saw for that little work? I know that cost is a concern; for that little wood I would borrow a saw from a buddy - or rent one, as someone mentioned. That way you can see what his/her saw is like, get the job done, and all it costs is about $10 for some bar oil and a little gas, or maybe a 6-pack. Buying a cheap tool for a one-time use never seems to come out well for me, I always end up getting what I should have gotten in the first place to do the job. You might find a saw for $100, but I expect one of two things will happen - you won't use it again, and will have spent $100 for a 5 min job, or you'll decide you like heating with wood (and therefore cutting it) and will need more than a $100 saw to do what you need, and that $100 saw is $100 you could have spent on a better one. Not trying to give you a hard time, I had the exact same situation two years ago. Bought the cheapest saw I could find, it didn't do what I needed, and I got the job done but not happily (who likes working with the wrong tool?), and then went out and had to buy the right one later. Check at your local pawn shop, they have good deals sometimes too. Good luck.

CTburning said:
I'm still glad I bought my cheapie saw though. I learned from my mistakes with a lot more forgiveness from that little saw.
I find that to be good advice. Only thing better than learning on your own cheap saw is learning on someone else's saw, kinda like Moose just said in the post right before mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.