Do I add this to my collection? Stihl 041 AV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

North of 60

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2007
Yukon Canada
Same fellow that I got the 272XP from. He had this given to him from an estate sale. Im gonna take a look. He said it looks as clean as a saw can get. 15lbs and has the chain break. Good for the novelty or leave it? $100. My wife will never understand. I have enough saws for everything but it would be fun to buck with the old girl. Give me your opinions. I will take a pic and post again later. This is what I have found out about it so far. Was there years later than this one is made?
N of 60
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...5a0c2feeba92ec1088256ba20048d67c?OpenDocument

For $100, I'd sure pick it up. That way if you get another one, I have an excuse to get anothe one! :lol:

For 100 why not? I got the 041 farm-boss but no chain brake back then and it's been a good saw.

Well I just had a look. It wouldnt fire up so I took a little peak and found it was getting no fuel. Fuel line to carb was rotted off. I zipped back home and pulled some out of my goody cabinet. Re-assembled and gave her three pulls with full choke and throttle locked. Away she went. Good compression and what a low grumble to her. Very low revving also. Kinda like a tractor when I hooked it up to a 18" spruce. It pulled right through it. He felt bad I had to run for the fuel line so $75 bucks it was. Not bad for a little nostalgia. It didnt actually have the chain brake, just a guard. Oh well!! Your up next Wendell. :lol:

Attachments

• sthil 041 AV.jpg
    sthil 041 AV.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,461
north of 60 said:
Same fellow that I got the 272XP from. He had this given to him from an estate sale. Im gonna take a look. He said it looks as clean as a saw can get. 15lbs and has the chain break. Good for the novelty or leave it? $100. My wife will never understand. I have enough saws for everything but it would be fun to buck with the old girl. Give me your opinions. I will take a pic and post again later. This is what I have found out about it so far. Was there years later than this one is made?
N of 60
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...5a0c2feeba92ec1088256ba20048d67c?OpenDocument

I had an early 70s vintage 041 - no anti-vibe, no chain brake. My dad got it at a garage sale for $50 in the late 80s. We used it heavily for 15 years or so. I gave it away and it's still running. IMO, the 041 is probably the best all around chainsaw ever made. I'd grab up every decent shape 041 I found for $100.00. Buy it. Use it. Love it. It's a working man's saw.

I run a 24" bar on mine. Runs great! Best $50 I have spent I think. I had to put a new bar/chain and clutch on it though.

I only run the 24" on it. I just sit it on the truck and let it chew. Works good for the big stuff and built tough.

That's a good looking saw for it's age Nof60...unlike mine. Think I paid 460 back that, peanuts today but a big investment back then...right around the bi-centennial. For awhile I used it as a limbing saw cause it was lighter than my 272's but I grew to appreciate the chain break so I went back to the 20" husky. Then I used it as a back up...like if I pinched my prime saw in a log. Then it went on semi retirement only to top my cedar trees. It just got hard to find a good niche for it.

I suppose one of these days I'll give it to a friend cause I do want one of the smaller pro saws available...btw I've been running 50:1 in that for the last 15 years with no problems.

Well now that you have that monster, I guess you will be wanting to get rid of the old pesky 028, I know a nice guy in Alberta that would like another 028. Easy guy to find, looks like a clown with his hair on fire. :lol: Which of your saws is your typical go to saw?

Alberta Burner said:
Well now that you have that monster, I guess you will be wanting to get rid of the old pesky 028, I know a nice guy in Alberta that would like another 028. Easy guy to find, looks like a clown with his hair on fire. :lol: Which of your saws is your typical go to saw?

THE 028 :snake: Until I start bucking! :)

My 028 just got back into commission. You forget how nice it is to have a GOOD working saw until you don't have anything. As a celebration present for her I bought her a brand new 20" bar and chain. Amazing what an extra 2" can do, and that saw can handle the extra load just fine. I struggled with spending that money to have it fixed, but when it runs as good as this does it's nicer than any new saw I could have purchased for that price *cough*poulan *cough*

My old man's got an 031AV without the brake...NO THANK YOU!! After years of running a saw with a brake I will only use one without in an emergency situation. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice saw at a great price that I'd like to have as a conversation peice, but that's it.

cut myself real bad with my 031av,no break!
all is good,got lucky but it is 4 sale

Backroads said:
My old man's got an 031AV without the brake...NO THANK YOU!! After years of running a saw with a brake I will only use one without in an emergency situation. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice saw at a great price that I'd like to have as a conversation peice, but that's it.
My 045 does not have a brake and have used it for 30 years with out a close call what so ever, my other two saws have brakes and have never come into play while I am cutting, not sure what the fuss is all about. If that saw is not worth 75 bucks I will kiss your what ever.

north of 60 said:
Well I just had a look. It wouldnt fire up so I took a little peak and found it was getting no fuel. Fuel line to carb was rotted off. I zipped back home and pulled some out of my goody cabinet. Re-assembled and gave her three pulls with full choke and throttle locked. Away she went. Good compression and what a low grumble to her. Very low revving also. Kinda like a tractor when I hooked it up to a 18" spruce. It pulled right through it. He felt bad I had to run for the fuel line so $75 bucks it was. Not bad for a little nostalgia. It didnt actually have the chain brake, just a guard. Oh well!! Your up next Wendell. :lol:

Very Nice! That'd be a good saw to put a 25" bar on for bigger wood if you don't have a saw for that task. They are not fast but have a lot of torque and pulling power.

I know what you mean about the low rumble. I don't use my 041 much, but when I do, I find myself setting it down and just listening to it idle.

Great score

Status
Not open for further replies.