Do i always have to have a roaring fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrowningBAR said:
Chrism said:
I have an idea but is there a video of how you want the fire to look when the secondaries have kicked in? All I know is there is supposed to be no smoke comin out of the chimney from what I understand .

There are all types of secondaries. Roaring gates of hell secondaries on one end and the lazier variety at the other end . Don't be afraid of the stove. Experiment. It isn't the end of the world if you see some smoke coming out of your chimney.

That would be the Portal to Hell . . . ;) :)

As mentioned there is also the lazy Northern Lights (aka Ghost Flames) which either flicker in and out or just kind of dance lazily at the top of the firebox and the BBQ Gas Grill Effect of blue jets of flame shooting out the secondary burn tubes.

Seeing no smoke out of the chimney as you mentioned is also a good sign.

BrotherBart said:
Chrism said:
I have an idea but is there a video of how you want the fire to look when the secondaries have kicked in? All I know is there is supposed to be no smoke comin out of the chimney from what I understand .

Returning to our regularly scheduled program:

You have three things that tell you how your stove is operating. A stove top thermometer, the condition of the fire as you see it in the stove and the chimney.

Using those three and information you can glean from our sometimes over-exuberant advise here you will learn how to get the most from that great wood stove. It takes time and it takes practice. And something will be a little different with every load of wood you put in the stove. Wood burning is about as inexact a science as you will find because of all the variables tfdchief alluded to. It is proven out by testimony of dozens of people here over the years that it takes a season's burning in a new stove to get it down. And that season can be frustrating. But well worth it once that night arrives where you say to yourself "By George I think I've got it.". Then the next night something else weird will happen. :)

And don't let the goofy directions that threads can head off in here discourage you from asking questions. We all still have them and this is a good place to get the answers as best as people can give them.

Well stated . . .

Also, before I forget, I prefer Condar thermos . . . got a magnetic mount on the stove and a probe style for my double wall pipe . . . I know the magnetic Condar was spot on with temp when compared to the IR gun . . . maybe 25-50 degrees difference.

The thing with any thermo though is to treat it more like a gauge vs. an absolute . . . you know . . . your car registers half a tank of gas . . . it doesn't show that you have 9.3 gallons of fuel . . . but your speedometer registers the exact speed (well maybe not calibrated . . . but you get the point) . . . in the same way I approach the temps on my thermos as giving me a general idea or guideline as to where my temps are . . . in other words . . . I wouldn't trust them and their readings if I was making a souffle and temps were critical.

Chrism said:
I was just gonna use it to warm up the cast to take the chill out of the air, not to make a rip roarin fire just warm the Isle Royale up to 200 to 250 degrees

That would work . . . just don't stuff it to the gills as mentioned earlier . . . and save some for later use . . . great kindling . . . or for use with marginal semi-seasoned wood.

Chrism said:
Hey you guys talk about a quick hot fire for the chill in the air. I thought its bad for a cast stove or metal stove n the chimney to start a quick fire, I thought a slow warm up was the best ???

i mean a "relatively" quick hot fire, starting with kindling as normal but instead of loading big long burning logs would load smaller splits which will burn up a bit quicker but we wouldnt be looking at a massively hotter fire just a sprint fire to heat the stove and the stove would then heat up the room some but not run you outta there

firefighterjake said:
I wouldn't trust them and their readings if I was making a souffle and temps were critical.

Well, the souffle makers of the world are numerous, so they must make decent thermometers for them to use. I just think it's too bad they won't come out with a good one for stoves (never used the Condars, maybe they are good), how hard could it be? I'd pay $50 for an accurate one, but I guess the demand at that price would not be that great in general. Seems to be quite a demand for $50 IR thermos just looking at the marketplace, though.

stoveguy2esw said:
Chrism said:
Hey you guys talk about a quick hot fire for the chill in the air. I thought its bad for a cast stove or metal stove n the chimney to start a quick fire, I thought a slow warm up was the best ???

i mean a "relatively" quick hot fire, starting with kindling as normal but instead of loading big long burning logs would load smaller splits which will burn up a bit quicker but we wouldnt be looking at a massively hotter fire just a sprint fire to heat the stove and the stove would then heat up the room some but not run you outta there

Do exactly that, usually with this weather, evening fire her up, mornings fire her up, burn down . nice and warm

Yours Truely,
Firewood Scientist

Loco Gringo said:
Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:
Mike, as always, thanks for the excellent analysis and clear explanation. Your expert contributions are much appreciated by all here.
Is that a dig at BB?

???

The comment was directed at Mike Houlton of Englander stoves, and it was meant in earnest. I have no idea why you played with the quotation boxes to make it look otherwise, but that ain't cool, dude. :mad:

As far as defending BB against any barbs, I think the guy is quite capable of that himself without your help.

Battenkiller said:
Loco Gringo said:
Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:
Mike, as always, thanks for the excellent analysis and clear explanation. Your expert contributions are much appreciated by all here.
Is that a dig at BB?

???

I have no idea why you played with the quotation boxes to make it look otherwise, but that ain't cool, dude. :mad:

Just getting to the point is all. No harm no foul.

Well had the stove goin brought it up to temp according the stove top thermometer 400 was good no smoke comin out of the chimney and nice and warm!! That stove top thermometer made it a lot easier !! Thanks

Chrism said:
Well had the stove goin brought it up to temp according the stove top thermometer 400 was good no smoke comin out of the chimney and nice and warm!! That stove top thermometer made it a lot easier !! Thanks
Once you get used to the stove you can throw the thermometer away but they are still fun to watch, I like shiny objects any way.

oldspark said:
Once you get used to the stove you can throw the thermometer away but they are still fun to watch, I like shiny objects any way.

I've found that shiny objects are the best way to get my wife up to temperature as well. %-P

oldspark said:
Chrism said:

I still find it is useful to have the thermo around . . . while one can get used to what to expect and the corresponding temps, once in a while things can be a bit wonky and you can get fooled . . . I know I've been fooled before by seeing a fire and expecting it to be a lot less hot than it was in actuality . . . and vice versa.

Yeah jake I realized that last night lol

Status
Not open for further replies.