Do I Get Free Fries With My Order-another CL J@ck@$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
I'm surprised that they didn't demand that the wood be split and that you come back every eight hours during the winter to load their stove.

Attachments

• free wood idiot.jpg
    free wood idiot.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 230
Can hardly read it.

Probably looking for a tree service to dump on their property. Lots of them do it, rather than pay to dump it.
I saw a posting the other day from a tree service looking for someone reliable and with a good trailer they could call to haul logs off site.

Try to copy and paste next, too small. Hey, I don't blame the guy/girl for the ad....can't hurt to ask.

But I do see the Woodmaster's point, that ad is bordering on looking the gift horse in the mouth.

Try to copy and paste next, too small. Hey, I don't blame the guy/girl for the ad....can't hurt to ask.

I agree. I could post an ad asking someone to come mow my lawn for free...if there's a fool who wants to take me up on it, great....if not, doesn't hurt to ask. I think this is more reasonable than this CL ad (made-up):

Free Firewood.

I have 16 trees that would make great firewood. Come and get them...for FREE.

8 are overhanging power lines, 8 are overhanging my house. All are in an old fence row. I'm pretty sure they are cottonwood, but it's hard to tell from all the poison ivy covering them. Must remove all brush and rake yard upon completion. Must be licensed, bonded, and insured.

Reactions: Hickorynut
I have a local farmer who gets wood like that, he uses it to heat all his green houses. To find that out I stopped by to ask about the huge pile of wood and was told it was giving them problems with all the creosote, looking as the burgeoning pile of wood continues to grow I can only assume they try and burn as is without being css :-O by the way it was all dropped off by tree services who would otherwise pay to dump.

Ooh, somebody looking for nothing on craigslist.

Can't hurt to ask is right.

Could be a veteran stuck in a wheel chair for all we know. WTF.

Reactions: firebroad
You don't put your best offer on the table first, you ask for X and you will gladly settle for Y.

I've had an ad similar to that running on Craigslist for a couple of years...Except I am looking for people to drop off beer!;)

Not one taker yet! Ba$tard$>>

How about used beer....I seem to have an excess

There are a few ads in the Summer months, where Tree companies are looking for close reliable places to "Dump" wood...

They will dump LOTS of Wood... But you must take it all. The guy said the wood is all over 7" in diameter. No branches....

Then I was told the catch.. About 30% is Wood Chips. Anything under 7" is shredded and dumped at your place too..

I thought about it.... But Nah...... Im good on 80 yards of Mulch by July ;)

I think I said this somewhere else, but heck, as an old guy who constantly repeats his stories, I will again. I cut down some oaks and maples on my property to open it up a bit and get more light to my garden. Cut them down, piled and burned the brush, cut the trees into 18" or shorter lengths. But I dont burn wood...pellet guy here. So, I had a guy down the road who I knew burned wood. Told him if he wanted it, he could come get it free, all cut and dried (not split). Well, he said he could use it, but wanst interested unless I loaded it up myself and delivered it to his place.....yea, for free.......didnt happen.....

Status
Not open for further replies.