Do I have an air leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsticks

Mar 19, 2010
NW New Jersey
Hi All,
I finally found a decent MS250 on eBay. Was packaged fine, I received everything I was told I was going to get. Fired it up Saturday and it ran great. I was very happy with the power it had, cut great. After it got hot from cutting I put it down, locked the brake, and let it idle while i grabbed something about 10 feet from me. I heard it start to struggle to maintain the idle and by the time I got to it, it died.

It would fire right back up, couple quick pulls of the trigger and all the power was there. Good acceleration, etc. Same thing happened when I raised the saw on a slight angle to trim some branches off a tree.

Fresh gas and oil, all the basics done.

I think I have an air leak. Trying to find a friend with a tester but thought I would ask here if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Thanks,
bsticks

I dont think you have an air leak soulds like you low carb setting needs turn up a bit if it has one...But with an air leak it will be very hard to start after its hot.

It has the adjustments but my turning and tuning didn't seem like it was fixing the problem. I am now rethinking what is going on because I emptied out the gas and oil put the cap on and after a few minutes when I took the cap off it was like a ton of air came out of the gas + oil tank. I am thinking I have a vapor lock of some type.

your saw has a one way air venton the fuel tank so as not to leak out fuel but let air in to displace fuel used by the running saw , that is normal if the saw was hot and you poured the gas out the rest vaporized and created pressure in your fuel tank . I will bet with Jay on this one it is either and issue of a carb setting or maybe even a need for a carb cleaning would be my first choice over an air leak .

bsticks said:
Ok, I will try that out and see how it goes. I just didn't want to lean it out.

not the h screw the L scew needs turn to the right start at a 1/32 turn at a time should take much...

smokinjay said:
bsticks said:

not the h screw the L scew needs turn to the right start at a 1/32 turn at a time should take much...
I think the H on a 250 is fixed .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
bsticks said:

I think the H on a 250 is fixed .

I wasnt sure! Just seen the committ that he was affarid of leaning it out to much..Just wanted to let him know thats not the screw he will be dealing with.

At last, working like a great machine! I did have to take it apart (luckily I have the service manual and illustrations) to clean it up, replaced two gaskets, and a small turn of the screwdriver and it idles great.

Thanks again for all the tips and thoughts.

bsticks

Status
Not open for further replies.