do I have to replace my pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstover

Jan 21, 2010
south central Washington
Thanks to some great advice received earlier this year, I am now about to go shopping for a new stove to replace my aging Waterford Trinity. I have narrowed the choices to these models:

1) Pacific Energy Summit Classic or Alderlea T6
2) Jotul F500 or F600
3) Lopi Liberty
4) Blaze King King

Yeah, I know there are a lot of differences between these stoves. I'm hoping that a visit to some local dealers will help me make up my mind. Price will not be the deciding factor, and I'm bipartisan on cast-vs.-steel. I bought my last stove for looks and I don't want to make that mistake again (because I have no central heating except my stove!) but I'm still having a hard time warming up to #3 and #4 because my stove is highly visible in my house. I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong with any of these choices, but that just makes the decision harder...

I have pretty much eliminated the Blaze King from consideration because I just can't stand the looks. But since that argument doesn't carry a lot of weight with my redneck neighbors who swear by the BK, it just occurred to me that the BK might have a few other strikes against it. For one thing, will I need a new 8-inch pipe? I think my Waterford double-wall pipe is 6 inches. Also, the BK doesn't have a cooktop right? We have frequent power outages here and I really love being able to cook on our woodstove.

As for the other 3 options, will all of them work with my existing stovepipe? And what about OAK? For most of its lifetime, I was using indoor air for my Waterford. But a couple of years ago when I tiled the stove area, I installed an air intake through the floor to the crawl space beneath the house. It's a 4" diameter opening. Does replacing my stove mean I'll have to drill a new hole through my tile in a different spot? And fill in the old hole? Not an appealing notion...

The Blaze King King takes an 8" pipe but the Princess takes 6" and is basically the same size as the other mentioned stoves. As far as outside air, I think it's required in WA and imo it's a good thing.

Thanks Inferno! Do you know whether any of these models will work with my exiting OAK cutout? It's directly behind the stove.

Princess firebox may be similar size but it's only rated at 40,000 BTUs. Which is about half of the other models I'm considering. Can I cross BK off my list? Please?

Not based on BTU's. The 40,000 rating is not an average over the complete burn cycle. If you read the manual, it's capable of putting out somewhere close to 87000 btu an hour if you just keep feeding it. That being said I have boiled water on my stove and made coffee on it. Others have cooked on theirs but I'm not sure how much.

Since the outside air intake is cold air you can use a piece of aluminum flex for it so that shouldn't be a problem with any of them.

I vote for the PEs or the Liberty. Sitting burning in the room that Liberty gets real pretty real fast. It is a hoss. There isn't anything wrong with a wood stove looking like a damn fine wood stove.

Yep. That Trinity is cute but definitely undergunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.