1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do I have to supply pellets when dealer is installing stove or do they supply the pellets to test th

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Diana627, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diana627

Diana627 New Member

Loc:
    So. NH
    First, I must say what a great forum this is. Beiing a newbie, I've learned a great deal from all of you.
    My dealer is installing my P68 this week. As he doesn't sell pellets, I put a call into him friday to make sure his installation men brings pellets to start up and test the stove. He was gone for the weekend, so I will call him first thing tomorrow morning as his help couldn't answer the question.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I have to supply the pellets, do I? My pellets won't be delivered for another month. As it's a Harman and we don't want to create any waves, my hubby said to have them do their job installing it and if they don't bring pellets, they won't get paid until it's tested.
    Right or wrong?
    Bruno

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Is two bucks worth of pellets to run the stove for an hour or two really worth the hassle? After spending, what, four grand on a stove?
  3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    I don't expect to test my new wood insert until it gets cold. I think the guarantee and my dealer can be trusted that long. I will for sure test it when it is "just" cold enough, say 40 degrees, not wait for 0 degrees to do the test run.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You take a five dollar bag of pellets and pour two dollars worth in a grocery bag. Or in the hopper of the stove. The rest will still be good in December.
  5. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Either way you're going to pay for a bag of pellets whether you
    go pick up a bag yourself or they bring a bag with them.
    If it were me I'd just go and buy a bag and have it waiting.
  6. BadDad320

BadDad320 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW New Jersey
    I vote for having a bag of your own pellets for the test fire.
  7. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I'd have a bag of pellets there just in case because with my luck the install would include one test attempt and a second try would cost me $100.00 extra and thier appt. book would be full until February 30th.
  8. kilarney

kilarney New Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    Do you require the kitchen stove installer to bring his own generator or LP gas?

Buy a bag of pellets. It won't kill you. If you don't need them for the install, you can just save them for the winter.
  9. Diana627

Diana627 New Member

Loc:
    So. NH
    I did buy a bag of pellets; it wasn't the $. A few friends of mine said the installer should come with pellets, that's all. My dealer hasn't even called back, but I found a local store that had hardwood pellets only and is selling by the bag. FYI, the price per bag is $6.99. He said it's the old supply and demand and prices will continue to climb.
    Thanks everyone!
  10. gumballrv

gumballrv New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    My installer instructed me to have pellets on hand for the test fire. If not they would charge a $10 fee for "test" pellets. So my vote would be to go get a bag of pellets and be ready. Good luck with the install.
  11. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Common sense would tell you that you no doubt paid top dollar for everything else you bought from the dealer so why add more to the total?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.