Do I have to supply pellets when dealer is installing stove or do they supply the pellets to test th

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana627

Jun 13, 2008
So. NH
First, I must say what a great forum this is. Beiing a newbie, I've learned a great deal from all of you.
My dealer is installing my P68 this week. As he doesn't sell pellets, I put a call into him friday to make sure his installation men brings pellets to start up and test the stove. He was gone for the weekend, so I will call him first thing tomorrow morning as his help couldn't answer the question.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I have to supply the pellets, do I? My pellets won't be delivered for another month. As it's a Harman and we don't want to create any waves, my hubby said to have them do their job installing it and if they don't bring pellets, they won't get paid until it's tested.
Right or wrong?
Bruno

Is two bucks worth of pellets to run the stove for an hour or two really worth the hassle? After spending, what, four grand on a stove?

I don't expect to test my new wood insert until it gets cold. I think the guarantee and my dealer can be trusted that long. I will for sure test it when it is "just" cold enough, say 40 degrees, not wait for 0 degrees to do the test run.

Glowball Worming Bust said:
BrotherBart said:
Is two bucks worth of pellets to run the stove for an hour or two really worth the hassle? After spending, what, four grand on a stove?
where can i get a $2 bag of pellets?

You take a five dollar bag of pellets and pour two dollars worth in a grocery bag. Or in the hopper of the stove. The rest will still be good in December.

Either way you're going to pay for a bag of pellets whether you
go pick up a bag yourself or they bring a bag with them.
If it were me I'd just go and buy a bag and have it waiting.

I vote for having a bag of your own pellets for the test fire.

I'd have a bag of pellets there just in case because with my luck the install would include one test attempt and a second try would cost me $100.00 extra and thier appt. book would be full until February 30th.

Do you require the kitchen stove installer to bring his own generator or LP gas?

Buy a bag of pellets. It won't kill you. If you don't need them for the install, you can just save them for the winter.

I did buy a bag of pellets; it wasn't the $. A few friends of mine said the installer should come with pellets, that's all. My dealer hasn't even called back, but I found a local store that had hardwood pellets only and is selling by the bag. FYI, the price per bag is $6.99. He said it's the old supply and demand and prices will continue to climb.
Thanks everyone!

My installer instructed me to have pellets on hand for the test fire. If not they would charge a $10 fee for "test" pellets. So my vote would be to go get a bag of pellets and be ready. Good luck with the install.

Common sense would tell you that you no doubt paid top dollar for everything else you bought from the dealer so why add more to the total?

Status
Not open for further replies.